Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Voice-only telehealth might go away with pandemic rules set to expire

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm just wondering how many people really rely on that service to make their lives easier. It is difficult to get my wife out to see a doctor, and our doctor agreed to just have phone conversations with her (us) about her condition. The phone calls work very well for us. If something happened where she physically needed to be seen by the doctor, I would take her in.

When I need to have a doctor appointment, I like it to be in person. There is just a better doctor/patient connection that way, and I have no problem getting out.

Check this out. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/11/23/1056612250/voice-only-telehealth-might-go-away-with-pandemic-rules-set-to-expire  

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

We did this (FaceTime calls) with one doctor  in particular. Yes, it was a thousand million times better; getting DH out is a chore, as we all know.

Doc told us last month the federal rules/regs that allowed phone visits during pandemic have been dropped, and in December he must go in person.  From what I can find myself, that’s true; it’s not the doctor’s decision. (Like a lot of other laws affecting doctor-patient matters). 

Friends who use other docs for other reasons also say their telehealth  visits had to stop. It’s a huge problem, but I don’t think the “rule makers” care. Obviously, I can go myself, and I can get DH there is needed. But all the visits in question were the most routine of routine, to get refills, no changes or problems. By phone made at least that one thing easier.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Its not a federal issue it is a state issue

To date, about half of all U.S. states have passed measures keeping audio-only telehealth in place. In the remaining states, absent legislation, old restrictions governing telehealth have kicked back in or will; some will sunset when the federal public health emergency ends sometime after the end of the year, while others have set their own timelines.

The federal government   preempted state laws limiting telehealth

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Crushed is right, as usual. In our case, it’s a state law(s). Florida has been so “busy” regulating doctor-patient matters and public health, it’s hard to keep track…

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I like the telehealth appointments.  That being said, I suspect that there are two incorrect assumptions in the thought that they are going away.  First I very seriously doubt that the virus is "going away".   Surges continue to happen here, and elsewhere.  Secondly, variants continue to  happen.  The latest I saw was one in Botswana and South Africa, a "very concerning" variant with multiple mutations in the spikes.   

Generally speaking for the last 50 years, I've been fairly successful hoping for the best but planning for the worst.   It certainly has been the case with my DW's dementia.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more