Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Keep a look for this

I will be interviewing Teepa Snow and she will be interviewing me. We will ask each other the hard questions to each other and nothing is off limits. Do you have any questions I should consider? This will be two-hour show. None of this is planed and she will not know until I ask her. 

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Sounds like fun Michael.  I'd be interested to know what things has she found the most challenging--what has stumped her, either professionally or personally, in her experiences with dementia?  Not trying to trip her up, but just curious.  I would also be interested in how she thinks the US is going to handle the anticipated huge increases in dementia patients over the next few decades:  what are the biggest challenges she sees in that arena.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Why do so many caregivers say they feel guilty when they place their LO into a care facility?  I think it is anticipatory grief.  Guilt is about doing something wrong.   Providing the best available care is not wrong, it is a blessing.

Iris

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

So far, I will use one of the questions here. Thanks for your input. Still looking for others.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Michael, this sounds like a great thing. She is excellent, and you provide input from the patient's perspective. Hopefully this will be made into a video that can be accessed on youtube or on her site. Is that the plan?

I have one question that some (most?) of us will likely encounter at some time during this caretaking process. When the patient becomes fecal incontinent, and they are still fully aware of what is happening, how can the caretaker involve himself/herself into helping with the bathroom process when the patient is fighting it tooth and nail? 

• Michael Ellenbogen

She has actually has spoken about that. You may be able to find that online for free. She does offer some free classes on her website.  Good idea about the video. I will ask the person today if that is part of their process. I think they will have two versions.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    As a caregiver one of the most emotionally charged challenges for me is my DW personality changes. The dementia response seems to be that its not DW it is the disease. How does Teepa Snow feel about the present approach and is it working?  for the LO? and for the caregiver? Is there any research being done on response(s) to behavior changes.
  • Michael Ellenbogen

There will be a live audio for the radio show and a separate zoom recording of what is said on the radio scheduled after mid-January.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more