Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Ideas needed : what to bring to MC

It is in 1 month and as we are going by plane, I can only take some suitcases. But I wonder what I can bring twitch him so that he will feel better there.

The last two years, I did lot of photo books and I am preparing one with pictures of his family and friends, with comments so that the caregivers and the speech therapist can use them to entertain his memory. They will be in his suitcase.

I also think to sailing magazine (even old ones). He doesn’t really read them now but like to flip through them.

He has wall pictures (sailing boats) he likes but I think that the photo frames are too big and fragile to travel. Perhaps I should print family pictures and buy frames in Tunisia ? I think I will try to decorate his room when I will be there. They are quite nice (Tunisian style) but lack personality. 

What else ? Do you have ideas. You, guys, what would you like to have with you ? 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Music. If you could find something to play music from a USB stick, you can get a lot of his favorite music on a small one.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Comfort.  What brings him physical and emotional comfort on a routine basis and also when he is unsettled or upset? This can be something as simple as favorite washing soap or lotion with a certain scent; (scents are important to a person with dementia), favorite grooming items and favorite shaving cream.

Perhaps an afghan or blanket he likes to curl up with, does he have a back scratcher he uses if he gets a back itch . . . does he have a favorite mug to drink from that he could keep in his room? 

Does he have any physical "thing" that bothers him that needs lotion or cream or whatever for rashes or itches; or even if he has hemmorhoids that has an item that helps.   If he can still use a clock to tell time, perhaps a lighted clock for his bedroom.  Perhaps a favorite treat that is not heat sensitive that can give him familiar comfort in his first days in Tunisia.   Magazines are fine, but should be mostly photographs as reading will be a processing problem as time moves forward.

Does he like to wear certain socks or slippers or leisure pants/shirts even if they look worn out ; they can be comforting.  Whatever his room looks like at home, there may be things that could go with him that would make his new room seem familiar and give comfort.

You can box some items and ship the box to the care center; they need not all go into your suitcase.  You will find more comfort items as you look about and moving day gets closer.

Best of wishes to all go well,

J.

• Ed1937
    I know it doesn't get very cold there, but if he feels cold, maybe take a sweater or two?
  • Ed1937
    French wrote:

The last two years, I did lot of photo books and I am preparing one with pictures of his family and friends, with comments so that the caregivers and the speech therapist can use them to entertain his memory. They will be in his suitcase.

When we had our 50th anniversary, one of our daughters made a photo book that began with pictures of both my wife and I as small children. It progressed in time until the present (at that time). It included pics of our large family through the years. It is very nice, and we sometimes get it out to look through now.  Something you might want to consider, since you are into photo books.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    French, I put a lot of our pictures on a digital picture frame which continuously scrolls the photo. Since he is going to be in Tunisia bring a tablet so you can check in on him and he has some ability to communicate with family members over the internet.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

In fact I now realize why it is difficult. My partner is not at all materialist , and has no object he likes. A car is a car, it must have the good size, but how it looks like isn’t important. 

It me who bought everything in the house.

Music is a good idea. I will gather is discs and will find a disc player. We also have a google nest, but I am not sure I can connect it in the hotel. He is still able to ask it to play the radio. 

Where he goes, there is one tablet by resident and the caregivers help to use it.

I will print photos. It seems easier than a numerical frame.

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Traveling by plane limits what you can take but would it be possible to mail or ship things ahead of when you go? That way you could decorate when you arrive. Just a thought.
  • French

I think I will buy some frames in Tunisia and bring some photos I will have printed here before. 

I also can go with him to the souk to buy things. It will occupy us during the 3 days I will spend there. Tunisia is very cheap. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I was thinking; if you plan to visit with your husband at intervals and there are rooms for family visitors in the same complex, perhaps if you would plan to stay for a few days or week at a time, if there is adequate storage in your husband's apartment, you may want to even ship a small box of items that are yours.  I did that with my son and DILs home; we traveled there often enough that I had a plastic box in a closet that had basics such as basic grooming items so we did not have to pack them each time we flew in; made packing simpler.

I did not realize that Tunisia lies between Algeria and Libya.  I also had no idea what the weather was like there, so curiosity had me Google it, and for those who do not know and who may be curious, here is as link regarding year round average temps for each area of the country; really rather warm most of the time with winter in the 60's Farenheit:

https://www.climatestotravel.com/climate/tunisia

Winter seems to be colder, and by one site, it was said that "freezing rain" can suddenly happen any time.  However; it appears that most of the year, weather is warm and sunny.

If it weren't for "French," I would not have any knowledge of Tunisia at all, so I now have bits and pieces that I did not have before.

Sending best wishes that all goes well with no problems,

J.

• Keep It 100
    Keep It 100 Member Posts: 8
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

In addition to the scrolling electronic frame mentioned above, I had tons of photos on his wall using Mixtiles [ https://www.mixtiles.com/ ] and I would highly, highly, highly recommend everyone do this. It is relatively inexpensive, simple, and surrounds your loved one with family and memories, and gives the staff and caregivers a real unavoidable look at who your loved one *really* is every time they come into the room. 

Good luck with the move. 

• Emily 123
    Emily 123 Member Posts: 747
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions

Hi French,

If they have a tablet for him, ask them what apps they use or if they will let you load apps on his new tablet. 

If you can load apps on his new tablet, then you could look at what he might like now, while you're at home.

There are some nice simple game apps, like solitaire, and there are photo and music apps that might be fun for him. If you create an account in YouTube for him you could select a bunch of sailing channels for him. 

I use Spotify and Pandora for music at home. You have to create an account before you start selecting your music, but as long as you can load the app on a device and then log into your account, you will see your music. 

• blfbrat
    blfbrat Member Posts: 2
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment
    i had a blanket made with all the kids, grandchildren, his mother, his sister and her daughter and grandson, a couple pictures of he and I.  they used it when he was in rehab.  it served two purposes,  one when people came in to help him, it started conversations and the 2nd thing was it let people know, he had a family that cared about him.
  • French

Thank you all. 

@keep it 100: Picture tiles are very nice. Better than buying frames. I will order some. 

@emily 123: my partner is no more able to play any game on a tablet. But Spotify or Deezer here is a good idea. He will have is google nest to listen radio. He is still able to say « he google allume la radio »

My main task now is to find a booster. Till December, 1st only people above 65 could have it and now that they have open to everybody, there is a shortage. I would like to do it as soon as possible because contamination is exponential here. I think he wouldn’t be very sick l but if we get Covid just before going to Tunisia, we won’t be allowed to go. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more