Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

what a week!

It started on Monday.  DH fell and fractured 2 ribs, spent 2 nights in the hospital and had to be medicated each night because he was agitated confused and wanted to go home.  He has never been agitated or needed medication before.  I know he was in a strange place with strange people and I was not there so he was confused and upset.   PT tried to get him up (I was not there) but said he was not cooperative so I was told me he needed to go to rehab.  He was in bed for 48 hours.  My 2 daughters were with me on Wednesday (one is a nurse) and pushed the nurses to get him up. PT wouldn't come back.  We refused rehab. Did not want him medicated every night which made him more confused the next day.   The case manager agreed he would be better off coming home even though it would be alot for me.
We did Thanksgiving at our house.  The kids were great all weekend.  DH was so happy to see the kids and grandkids. 
He is a little more confused than before the fall but so much better than in the hospital.  I am tired but I am glad I brought him home.  I know he would be medicated in rehab.  I know the time may come but not now. 
The kids are starting to help more and I know I will need to get some outside help.  

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oh my, what a week indeed! I'm glad you got him home, where he will have individualized care and support in a much more comfortable/stable setting. I am not at all surprised that he is more confused, but much of that is likely to be temporary.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry caberr. Fractured ribs are very painful. Hope you do get the help you need. Keep us posted-
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry you have had your hands more than full. And sorry he had to endure the pain of broken ribs. I had three broken ribs after falling off the top of a ladder, while getting off a garage roof. Very painful stuff. 

Hopefully with him being home, and the kids helping more, things will get a little easier for you now, and he will be less confused. Keep us posted.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thank you 

He is doing better during the day, moving around but at night getting in and out of bed is hard and painful.  We tried the recliner one night but he was so confused he said he wanted to get into bed.

I am now worried he is becoming incontinent.  The past 2 nights he has had accidents, not total, but I had to change the sheets one night then last night just his pj's.  He was ok with me putting depends on him. (glad I had them) I am hoping maybe once he is feeling better this will go away.  But afraid it won't.  

I am disappointed, I was supposed to meet my sisters at my cousin's house in LI this coming weekend. The kids said they would take turns to come and stay with DH and someone would spend the night.  With his ribs and now with the accidents at night I don't think it's a good idea.

This decease takes so much from all of us!    

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Oh my! What a week indeed! Thank God for the kids being there!
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    When DH was discharged from the hospital there were a few things that needed to happen since we refused rehab.  They set up PT, OT, speach and a visiting nurse.  They also called a state run agency that serves seniors and caregivers. We had an interview yesterday.  Hopefully we will get someone in once a week for 3 hrs to be with DH.  I know I will eventually need more than 3 hours but right now I don't have anyone on a regular basis and I am so looking forward to getting that help.  Like my son said...it's a start.

I was told there is a shortage of in-home caregivers, mostly because of covid.  I am hoping I will get someone sooner than later.  

PS...I am still happy he came home.  It's been a tough week but he is getting better every day!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Glad for the update caberr. And at least it's a foot in the door for some help at home. Im worried it may take something similar here. We're edging towards needing ADL help-tonight she showered for the first time in a week. Keep us posted how it goes.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more