Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How much milk is bad for you.

My Peewee is drinking almost two gallons of milk a day with chocolate drink mix. I try to get him to drink other things such as tea and water with flavoring but no he won't. When we are out of milk he gets upset.

Comments

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    This is a question for his medical provider.

I will say that this sounds awfully like his former issues with soda- he's filling up on a lot of sugar. A gallon of whole milk chocolate milk contains 3,320 calories. It's 2,520 a gallon for low fat chocolate milk. This will fill him up so he won't be hungry.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Calories and sugar aside, there’s an odd syndrome called milk alkali syndrome you may want to look up. Can lead to calcium problems if someone is drinking a lot of milk and also taking antacids. Not common, but worth knowing about.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I can relate to this. 

This morning woke up to find the fridge about empty. The milk, chocolate milk, sliced turkey etc., all gone. Mind totally blown. I use milk for coffee, my husband drinks it at every meal. He eats four or five bowls of ice cream a day, drinks five cans of diet ginger ale a day.

Speaking with someone on the phone from a dementia service, she told me this is quite common. My husband has developed a pot belly from the all the extra calories. I cannot have cookies or anything around, he will eat them all in a day. 

I can imagine all the extra calories cannot be great. I will give my husband lunch, five minutes later he will ask when he will be getting lunch. I don’t think I will ever understand this disease.

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    When my grandson was an infant/toddler, he drank too much milk and developed anemia. Lady PeeWee, this cannot be good for your husband but how do you stop it?
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I wonder if it's possible to use supply chain shortages as an excuse?  Can't get it right now?
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I can relate . My husband who has never been a big milk person now drinks a large, 16 oz glass of milk with chocolate syrup in it every night. He said it helps him go to sleep. He did not eat ice cream. Now he loves frozen yogurt. A half gallon a day. I’ve decided if it makes him happy why fight it. He deserves to be happy!
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

@Joydean,  That is exactly my opinion.  I let him eat exactly what and how much he wants.  He has a terminal disease and if I was in his place I would hope I am allowed what food I want.  

Lady PeeWee,  I would probably dilute the chocolate milk slowly making it weaker  so he doesn't notice.  That would still give him the joy of drinking it but reduce costs as well as calories and sugar.  

Blessings,

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    The only problem I can see with allowing the person to eat or drink as many calories a day as they want is the weight gain. When someone puts on a lot of weight it might mean needing placement sooner if the spouse can no longer physically help them or pick them up if they fall.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Gig, that’s true. In my husband’s case he had lost over 50 pounds and at 6ft 5, and down to 150 pounds, even his doctor was a little concerned. So I’m glad he’s eating something.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more