Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

An Unexpected Mitzvah

During our Thanksgiving week sojourn in Florida we stayed at a lovely, tiny little Inn on the beach in Pass-A-Grille.  In that time we met some truly nice, welcoming people staying on either side of us.

The last of which was an awesome gay couple who have been together for over 20 years and married for 17…which is apro pos only in the fact that once upon a number of years ago would have been a challenge for my sweetie…but, not any more.  These men were so sweet and talkative with him helping put him in a space where he was very animated and engaged for about 2 1/2 hours one evening.  

I could hear them talking and laughing on the deck through our open door.  This does not happen for him often and warmed my heart so that I just remained inside so he could have that one on one chatter with these men about everything and nothing in particular.

They knew about his dementia only because they asked me about his wandering about the premises so often during the day and early evenings.  They were not put off nor were they in any way condescending with him.  Just guys talking about stuff. 

Sometimes the universe is kind.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    That’s a nice story, thanks for sharing it. Every bit of good news is a blam-or a mitzvah, as you said!!!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Balm. Darn spellcheck!!!
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That is great and a true blessing for both of you! Hope you enjoyed your time!
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Life sometimes gives us those special moments to hold dear in our hearts.

These are the stories which should be on the news...to give us all hope for humanity!

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a wonderful heart warming story; may that dear, kind, caring couple have many blessings in their life together.   The world is so enriched by people like them.

Thank you for sharing; it is very uplifting.

J.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    and sometimes we just don't see the Mitzvah...thanks for the share.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more