Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Bathroom rug cleaning

What rugs do u use in the bathroom when there is frequent signs of feces on the rugs. DH in mild  Dementia diagnose, 83. Tired of cleaning the dirty rugs.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We only have a small rug just outside of the shower. If I catch it in time, I remove it before she has a BM.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I don't use rugs (floor mats) in the bathroom except at shower time.  After shower, I put the floor mat on the side of the tub to dry. I don't necessarily remove them because of urine or feces but because they are a trip hazard!  My husband shuffles when he walks.
  • Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

DH has dementia and is the messy Marvin,  but after injuring my knee and hip I am the fall risk.  

On the advise of my orthopedist there are no rugs in the bath save at shower time and then they are hung on the shower rod to dry.

There is a rug by the front door for feet wiping, but I have trained myself to look down and place my feet squarely on it going in or out. The threshold is another issue entirely, but that is not what you asked.

No rugs is for my safety, but has the added bonus of keeping my sanity regarding his toileting issues.  The vinyl floors are a whole lot easier to clean and he likes the scent of Mrs. Meyers pine scented cleaner.  I keep gloves,  a bottle of the cleaner, and a roll of paper towels in both bathrooms so clean-up is quick and easy at this point.  Sometimes he surprises me and cleans up after himself.

You may find this is a workable option for you as well.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks to all who replied to my bathroom rug question 

DH uses the half bath, it belongs to him, also used for guests.

I guess no rugs in his bathroom is the answer!

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    As the disease progresses, rugs in almost any room can become a problem with incontinence.  Other members have removed rugs and/or wall-to-wall carpet before they are ruined (saved for later use) and then painted or varnished the sub-floor to seal it.  Others have added inexpensive seamless flooring to the sub-floor.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more