Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Has anyone dealt with psychotic breaks with LO?

My DH ended up being sectioned walking into neighbors homes, yelling and trying a few times to throw me physically out of home… Had delusions…. After a brief stay in geriatric psych, I had to place him in memory care because he wasn’t ready for home.  He was insisting I was not his wife and had a few delusions.  While at MC, his behaviors are back to normal or at least the normal he had been prior to the break.  The medications have done wonders.  I want to bring him home and a few staff in MC have asked if I considered it but as nervous about whether or not it will happen again and if it will follow same path… has anyone dealt with anything similar?

Comments

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry you are dealing with this. I have had a very similar experience two years ago when my DW became delusional quite often, didn’t recognize me as her husband, thought I was an intruder in her parents home and would scream and hit me and try and force me out. Eventually medications calmed her behavior but the paranoid delusions continued but just without such a violent reaction. Following the advice of her geriatric psychiatrist, a counselor from the Alzheimer’s Society, and our children I agreed it was time for her to move to a MC facility. The psychiatrist said whenever there is the chance of violence, it is not wise for a single caregiver to attempt to manage care 24/7. Alzheimer’s is progressive and while extreme behaviors can be managed somewhat with medication, it is advisable to make the move to MC preemptively and not wait for a crisis. As predicted by the Alzheimer’s counselor, my wife improved in the environment of the MC facility. Constant music, social interaction with other residents, marvelous caregivers who can manage any situation with ease and provide suitable activities every day have made her life much better than I could possibly manage on my own alone in our home. I visit daily. She still knows me most of the time, but is always anxious to rejoin her group of ladies in the common room as opposed to visiting alone with me. It has been very challenging for me to adjust to living alone after 53 years of married life, but I know without a doubt given the nature of her progressive condition I could not offer her as good care at home.
  • Sunrise24
    Sunrise24 Member Posts: 44
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Ernie: Thanks for feedback.  Sounds as though you made the right decision for your DW.  I brought my DH home yesterday for a visit and he was happy.  On the drive over, prior to telling him where we were going, he was telling me that he just couldn’t take it there any more and that I should be realistic and know that his alZheimers will get worse and that he is never coming home.  He was crying and said that he would rather be dead.  He really has no one to talk to in MC and a few of the staff including the manager have approached me saying that he is really too high functioning for MC right now.  One psychiatrist at memory center where he is seen says he is an anomaly to them.  He recognizes everyone, just watches news or movies all day.   I am sorry that you are having difficulty with living alone.  It is such a major adjustment.  Hopefully you have some interests and friends that get you out of the house.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more