Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Aromatherapy

Have u tried aromatherapy for dementia/ Alzheimer’s?

If so. Which oils helped in dementia/ memory issues?

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I use aromatherapy for my benefit, not for DH. I am not aware of any oils that aid dementia symptoms or memory problems.

The oils that I prefer are:

• Eucalyptus - when I am doing household chores
    • Lavender - when I am winding down the day 
    • Basil - when I have a headache

I use the oils because the scent pleases me. I don't believe the oils have the ability to treat medical issues.

I read recently to be especially aware if you use aromatherapy with pets in the house. According to the article, because dogs have a keener sense of smell, the use of essential oils (or other home fragrances) may cause the dog to become uncomfortable and/or ill.

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My sisters and I used aromatherapy for my mother who had Alzheimer's disease for five years.  We had her smell a couple of essential oils under each nostril for a few seconds each day.  We used a variety of different essential oils, including rosemary, bay laurel, orgeano, thyme, and sweet orange.  Lemon balm and lavender are other essential oils that may help.

With aromatherapy, my mother had a better sense of time and place (she recognized her home again; once she said as we drove down our street "we are almost home now"), she was more alert and more aware, she stopped having delusions, she recognized objects better, she could count numbers and recite the alphabet, she remembered her name again.  Her short-term memory and her lucidity only improved slightly; she no longer saw relatives as impostors but saw them as friends rather than as relatives.  With exceptions now and then, she was happier with less agitation.

Aromatherapy is probably the least expensive and one of the most effective treatments for Alzheimer's disease that currently exists.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I haven't, but I've thought of using lavender when dh goes to bed and sweet orange when he seems draggy in the mornings. I think anything that makes our days and nights better is a benefit.
  • sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thanks. That’s encouraging! I plan to try lavender, lemon balm and rosemary
  • Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Very good choices.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One