Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

a very pleasant afternoon tea

When I get frazzled, it helps me to take a break and have a cup of hot tea. I found a grocery store brand of jasmine tea that I have been enjoying lately. Fortunately the price is budget friendly. There is something soothing about the fragrance of the tea and holding the warm cup in my hands. 

Usually I drink my tea in solitude. This time I invited my husband to join me. We relaxed together and enjoyed the scent of the jasmine. We reminisced with happiness about our former home and former neighbors. It was so nice to have a little bit of normal. I am glad I now have another special moment to remember.

I am grateful for the moments of joy on this difficult journey.

Comments

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

LT--I buy Jasmine tea for my DH who makes himself a cup daily. It is loaded with antioxidants, promotes healthy heart functioning and even has been shown to help brain functioning and Alzheiner's.

I love to make myself a cup of tea in the afternoon to wind down. I usually enjoy either jasmine, linden flower, or, on a cold and rainy day --a cup of Earl Grey.

I truly believe that the making of the tea and the quiet drinking of the flavors helps with depression and stress. Salud!!

dj

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a lovely shared time with your husband; that was a gift.  What is it about tea?  For me it is like a warm hug around the tummy.

My grandmother never said she would have tea or would someone else like a cup of tea, it was always . . . . a "nice" cup of tea.  She was right.

My favorite teas are Stash's Teas.  Each morning, I have a cup of Stash's Earl Grey Tea, (decaffeinated), and love the taste, the lovely aroma and the warmth of the cup in my hands.  I do not want my tea in a delicate tea cup; I have favorite Le Creuset mugs that are heavy and hold the heat and they fit well into my hands lending their warmth.  Lovely indeed!

I find that a cup of tea about four in the afternoon is a nice respite and comforting.  I like the smell of coffee but not the taste.  Caffeine makes me jiggly, so I skip that.  I found that Stash's quality has the same flavor to the decaf as it does to the fully leaded.  Used to have to buy Stash's from their website, but now can find it in some stores. 

Hope you have more shared moments like that one to lift the spirit and make a memorable connection.

Enjoy your nice cup of tea!

J.

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,311
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I used to drink a lot of coffee but had to quit because it would make my chest hurt.  So, we switched to half decaf - same thing after a while.  Then, changed to hot tea many, many years ago.  I'd make a big mug of hot tea in the mornings (at work), then have iced tea in the afternoon.  I still have a big soup mug or two of hot tea in the mornings, or at LT said if I'm frazzled or really tired I have another cup.

I've never really experimented with different flavors so next time I get to the store I'm going to try a couple of new flavors.  I saw some on QVC today and the tea bags were  pyramid shaped and they had flavors that sounded so good.

Daddy liked hot tea - and coffee, too.  When he'd drink hot tea mother would call him English.  Guess that's all right because our family name is English.  Now, everyone likes tea, hot or cold.

• Josie in Podunk
    Josie in Podunk Member Posts: 87
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Oh…LT….how lovely.

When Sis ans I were hospising Mother, we would have teas together.  Mother loved Esrl Gray…I am not a fan of the bergamot innit.  But, we both loved Jasmine or Constant Comment together.

Like you, I love a heavy mug that keeps the tea warm and the hand while holding it.

I have a number of Mother’s tea pots and use them regularly warming them before pouring the hot water over the loose tea in the bottom.  She did not like using tea cozy’s.
    Handyman does not care for hot tea, but does love sharing space while he has his coffee and I my tea.
    I hope you write down these lovely bits of normal in a journal so you can look back on them and smile onna tough day.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Oooo, Constant Comment is the loveliest smell!
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I am a long time tea drinker and drink it year round.  Hot tea with a splash of milk - could anything relax me more?  I don't think so.  I love Rooibos Red Vanilla.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Sounds like you had a nice afternoon.  I love when that happens!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lady, that i certainly a win! Enjoy every one of those you can get.

I've never been a tea drinker, but maybe I'll give it a try after seeing how much you all enjoy it.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Podunk, I did not realize Constant Comment was still going strong.  I remember the Constant Comment tea with orange and spice in it . . . . smells SO good and tasted great. Very comforting on a cold winter's day.   Gosh; I can almost catch the aroma just writing about it.

Somewhere along the way, I got bonded to the Stash's Earl Grey.  They also have another tea that is a much stronger Earl Grey with increased bergamot, but I do not care for it at all; far too much bergamot for me.  The regular is milder and not at all offensive.  Through experience, I found that the cheaper teas with bergamot (Earl Grey) is not as good and sometimes just rather icky; but the higher quality Earl Grey teas are much more smooth and even delicate in flavor; they do not overwhelm.  Glad I can get Stash's in our market now.  More pricey, but for my tastebuds, it is well worth it.

Time for my morning cuppa pretty soon.  However; I have to try and resist (often unsuccessfully) in not wanting something to go with the tea . . .  like cookies, scones, and especially, OMIGOSH - those lucious CostCo Biscone that they only make during a certain time of the year in their own store bakeries.  Groan . . . . they are making them now and here I am deciding to absolutely have some in our next order.

If you have a CostCo you shop at and haven't yet tried their Biscone; give yourself a treat and give them a try.  Delicate orange flavor, cranberries, and other great flavors . . . also wonderful texture.  

The Biscone are so good, my friend buys them in large amounts.  Enough for the present and some in the freezer to take out after the CostCo Biscone season is over until the following year.  Only problem is, if I bought that amount I would be like a goldfish and eat and eat and eat them.  Sigh.  Impulse control problem.  Guess that explains the four children.

Grin.

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living