Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Feeling guilty(3)

I am having a very hard coping. I’m a Type A person to say the least- always running at top speed. My husband who was recently diagnosed has always been on the slow side but now it takes him a very long time to do many things. I’m impatient and then I feel awful. I’m looking for a support group in the Bethesda, MD area.

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

I am the worst on this. I’ve always been impatient, and that’s not good for a PWD. Support groups help, as does therapy.

Your local Alzheimer’s Association likely knows of support groups near you. Just Google something like “Alzheimer’s Association in..Bethesda” and you should find it. They may sponsor some themselves.

Or call the Area Agency on Aging, or Senior Services department, for your county. Or any community senior center. Different places have different names, but along those lines).

I’ve learned to allow/plan/expect about 3x longer than normal for anything with him. Knowing to start with him far earlier than I normally would, helps. I also keep things nearby that I can do (like lifting small weights) while he does whatever.

• 7707wisc
    7707wisc Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Thanks so much.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia