Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I should have known better

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

My wife simply can't understand that we only have one dog. She is always asking about the others. This morning she asked me where the dog was. I told her she was laying on the floor right in front of us. But that wasn't the dog she was looking for. Then she called "Layla", "Gracie". I told her Layla died 5 1/2 years ago.  She asked me how she died. I told her she had cancer. She didn't say anything, but was visibly upset. I asked her what was wrong. She said she didn't want Layla to be gone, then started crying. Layla, another German Shepherd, was the most perfect dog we've ever had, and we've had many.

I never tell her that her mother and grandparents are gone, but work around that. It never occurred to me that the long gone pet would bring on that much sadness. One more thing I've learned about this disease.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I'm so sorry Ed.  This is a constant issue for us too:  one dog, three cats (one indoor), three chickens, six ducks.  But I see the same thing about "the other dogs" and "other cats" all the time, and I do think she is remembering dead ones.  I just go through the current count and try to stay away from who is no longer with us.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Yep, living with a dementia patient can be like walking through a cow pasture. I'm constantly "stepping in it." I seem to always want to give her the benefit of the doubt and believe she can understand words and do things that she really can't. I guess it's wishful thinking on my part.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My beagle Maddie is dying of soft tissue sarcoma. She had surgery a year ago, then chemo, but the tumor has grown back with a vengeance. The veterinary oncologist told us last summer that Maddie had 6 months to a year to live. We will not let her suffer. I know she has just a few months at best. My husband forgets her prognosis and I don’t want to remind him. My fear is what will happen after the dog dies. I KNOW he will ask where she is. He asks where his mother and brother are and they’ve been gone for over 25 years. My dilemma concerns what I can say when he asks. I don’t discuss the cancer but should I cover up a death and, if so, how?
  • EvelynGallardoAuthor
    EvelynGallardoAuthor Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Hello everyone. I'm new here. My husband tried to drive the car out of our parking lot yesterday. Luckily he needs a code to get through the electronic gate and an employee alerted me. I felt like I was having an internal meltdown thinking of what could have happened, even though our property is gated. It made me realize I've been trying to go through this  alone...
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Always something to trip over....sigh
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hi Evelyn....you are definately not alone!
  • A. Marie
    A. Marie Member Posts: 118
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Bill, although I do understand and sympathize with where you are right now, you have given me a good laugh with your term "stepping through a cow pasture." You are 100% accurate with that one. Strength and courage to us all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more