Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ability to judge temperature

Has anyone had a concern regarding your LO being able to judge temperature?  With the house warm, plenty of clothing and blankets my LO complained of being cold this morning around 5 pm.  I did numerous things to warm him.  His body felt comfortably warm to me, not hot. He was not feverish.  After a while, I suggested we get up and I made sure he was dressed extra warm.  Now a few hours later it is still in the 20's here and he is outside cleaning the windows.  He went out without a hat and only a light wool shirt.  At my insistence he came in, was unhappy, so now with my suggestion he is out again with a large coat and hat cleaning the windows.  He will be OK there for a while.  I just need to make sure it is not too long and he keeps the clothing on.  Just curious if ability to judge temperature is something any of you have experienced.

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

My partner is no more able to changer the heater regulator but last year he was turning it to a maximum.

Every other evening I go to my jacuzzi (help me to relax and sleep). The 3 last time, when I came back I found him with is sailing jacket and with a fleece headband on his ears. Once he was in the bed like that !

He also eat the food when it is still very hot. 

• DorisEmma
    DorisEmma Member Posts: 36
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

we have had the issue with the thermostat, turning it up, sometimes wanting the air conditioner on when it is cold outside because he feels warm, etc, etc.  I learned it could be locked and although the way to unlock it is simple, he has not figured that out and seems to accept that is locked.  

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Doris - Yes. we see this here.

My DH dresses inappropriately for the weather - coat and gloves on 85 degree days and T-shirt and sandals even in subzero temps. This started in stage 5 for us, I believe (at least a year ago). It was a blessing that we needed to isolate due to COVID because he also was (still is) very uncooperative about listening to me so he would not overheat nor get sick due to overexposure. I would have to use the seat warmer and crank the heat up in the car, to compensate as he'd start shivering but still refuse to put on the jacket or sweaters I keep stashed in the car. So frustrating.

Now, in stage 6d, I hand him his meals on a big metal tray with his plate on it (to prevent major messes) and he often says "its HOT" when it is actually a little cold (stored in a lower cabinet). Also he overreacts to a glass of cold water (poured straight from the fridge in the same Brita filter pitcher he used to drink it from for years) as if it is freezing his insides or something. And, if I've heated tea or decaf for him and the cup is just a tad warm to the touch, he flinches and sips as if it is scalding his mouth. (barely lukewarm, I always test it like for a toddler).

I think his internal thermostat is way off, and/or also he is just confused about the terms and sensations. I don't let him use the microwave any more due to drastically overheating things and placing metal items etc. in it. Nor the stove, due to basically being too far advanced and risking gassing us all, or burning something down. So I prepare everything and monitor the temp, but his judgment is just gone -- or maybe the sensations actually feel different to him now.? Possible.  

The other thing your question makes me think about for a PWD with this problem, is monitoring the hot water temps in our faucets, etc.-- but my DH flat refuses to bathe or shower anymore so he won't be scalding himself in the bathroom at all. If there's a silver lining to hygiene resistance, I guess that's it. 

"Needs help selecting appropriate clothing" started in stage 5 for us. That mainly meant weather/temperature appropriate, (not a dressy vs. casual decision) which I didn't really understand or expect when I first read about the stages. DH's usually got a foot in 2 stages at a time and is solidly 6(d) now...but I remember when the temperature issues started. Baffling and can be really unsafe. Glad you got your LO to layer up a bit!

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    My Wife has had trouble regulating her temperature for a few years now. It started with an inability to handle extreme temperatures, and progressed to being hot or cold seemingly independent of the actual temperature. At her MCF, she continually wants to walk in the he enclosed outside area, but refuses to put on a coat.
  • John_inFlorida
    John_inFlorida Member Posts: 51
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

My is also always too cold or too hot. Complaining about the temperature, when it feels ok to me, and is set where we had always kept it. Luckily for me we recently replaced the AC system and the new thermistat is digital and she doesn't know how to change it, no telling where she would set it. I think I remember others saying their spouse with dementia couldn't maintain their body temperature's correctly anymore.

She usually has a blanket around her, yet several minutes later shes too hot and wanting the fan on.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

This post really resonates with me. My husband will turn the heat up to 84 degrees and the house is stifling. I have kept the window in my room open and for the most part he stays out. During the summer, the a/c was rarely used, it was bloody hot but he would turn the heat on. He often wanders outside during winter, no jacket. I believe his inner thermostat is screwed up. He also wears socks all the time, I believe his circulation is impaired. 

His sense of time is really skewed as well. Dementia takes no prisoners.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more