Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does anyone have experience with bidets

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I'm seriously considering a bidet. My wife told me she would not use one, but it might be worth a try. Does anyone have a LO who never used one before dementia? How did it go? Which one do you have, and what are the pros and cons? I know we need a heated bidet, and a warm wash that is consistently warm.

Comments

• John1965
    John1965 Member Posts: 104
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    We had one installed about a year ago and love it. It's not a big deal, basically a glorified toilet seat. We did have an electrician put an outlet next to the toilet. It's nice to have a heated seat, heated water, and a night light. DW uses it when I remind her to. I like it more than I ever imagined, regardless of whether or not she does. It was about $400 from Costco.com. Eventually they will be common in almost every home. Much better for the environment.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Ditto what John1965 said.  We've had exactly the same experience, with a similar Amazon bidet.   I've installed 2 in our house and am considering one more.  Rick
  • Ed1937
    John, is this the one you have? https://www.costco.com/.product.100648788.html  
  • A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

Ed, maybe one of these would help.

Top 10 Bidets 2021 - Buyer's Guide

https://buyersguide.org › best

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    We had our bathroom remodeled last October...took the doors off so have a complete open bathroom from our master bedroom. We have a Toto washlet...not inexpensive but has been a life saver for my husband who was diagnosed with AD in 2015. He had never used a bidet before last year. I control the remote as he would not be able to do that. I just make sure he is clean so have him sit for awhile! Seat is heated and can control the temp of the seat, water and dryer. Well worth every penny! I have the same issues as most everyone on this site as far as bathroom issues go...the main one is that he gets very upset when I ask him to use the toilet and then try to get him to sit!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

It would be worth paying an electrician to have the warm water rather than cold.  Lots of information out there using Google.  I was surprised to see that if one is heavy set, that there are wider bidet seats to accommodate the anatomy for accurate use of the wash function, so size of person can be an issue.

Most seats have a single nozzle, but if a female, the dual nozzle may be of value.

At first I thought a remote control may be an issue if a LO was to lose it.  However; I would think a remote would be better. If a bidet seat is non-remote, the controls are permanently fixed on the side of the seat and can present some access issues with the physical location near/against body depending on various factors and also may be problematic for ease of seeing for use; and when a LO is rising to a standing position may use force on the fixed side controls to push up or to slide to rise off the seat . . . .  guess better choice would be to have two remotes . . . one in use kept in a safe place and a second one in reserve should the initial one go missing. 

What brand of seat that satisfied Members have would be good to know . . . .

• Ed1937
    Thank you very much or the replies. I've been considering one for over a year, and checked out the pros and cons of several models. This morning I ordered the one linked in my previous post. Probably the biggest pro of this model is constant warm water, which I feel is needed because many times I doubt that a 30 second wash will just not be enough.
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I have one but I only installed the seat so far. Still trying to get th courage to install the water and electric. I think I will go do it now. Thanks for the encouragement to get this started. I have had it for 2 moths now.

• Michael Ellenbogen

I can not believe how easy it was to install. Now I just need my wife to go thru the setups. Thanks again for diving e to do this.

• Ed1937
    Michael, that's a win. I hope you like it.
  • John1965
    Ed, not the same one. Looks similar. Our next one will be the ButtBlaster5000
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Hi Ed, yes we have had Toto Washlets for the past 15 years in both bathrooms. Simply replace the existing toilet seat with the Bidet seat on the existing toilet and plug into an outlet. As a radio talk show doctor once said, "If that stuff got on any other part of your body, would simply wiping it off with dry paper be OK?, Of course not!" It's a much more civilized and hygienic way of cleaning up after using the toilet. From what I understand they are universal in some Asian countries. Of course they are no help when the user "goes" on the floor or in a wastebasket.
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes

Question for those who have one...  Does having one at home cause your LO extra confusion when they end up using a regular flush toilet somewhere other than home?  At home they sit and get washed and anywhere else they have to wipe. My wife goes to daycare is the reason for my question.

Also, just how clean are they what with the dirty water being sprayed around? I guess it has to be better than all the poop smears on and around the toilet like I end up cleaning now.

• John1965

This short video may help some visualize how bidets work. It is clean, fresh water that comes from the same water supply that fills the toilet tank. 

https://youtu.be/6sj8nCyrZbY

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, which one did you go with?
  • Michael Ellenbogen

Wow it was great. Still needs some adjustments but fell so much better. I think it would be much harder for those with dementia to use it but if the caregiver does it would make things so much better for both. It has to many boutons to use. Not sure if it is automatic yet.

• Ed1937
    Joydean wrote:
    Ed, which one did you go with?

https://www.costco.com/.product.100648788.html  It seems to have everything to fill our needs. Some (most?) only give about a 30 second warm water wash. Then you have to wait for the water to warm again. The one I ordered is heated by electricity, and is constant. They also have models that require hooking up to both warm and cold water, but are a little more work to install. Some only have cold water, and I know that's out of the question for us. You have to know what feature is acceptable for you.

John, your next one sounds scary!

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,759
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Do you think one of these will work if a "riser is in place?
  • Ed1937
    I don't think that will be a problem at all.
  • Ed1937
    Super quick from Costco. Ordered yesterday morning, with an estimated delivery for Dec. 22. It's out for delivery already! Eight days before expected.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    jfkoc wrote:
    Do you think one of these will work if a "riser is in place?
    Good question. Will wait to see if we get an answer
  • Ed1937
    I think there are two kinds of risers. One fits at the bottom of the toilet, raising the whole toilet up. There should be no problem with those, although you might need a longer hose. The other type is called a toilet seat riser, and fits on top of the bowl. That could pose a problem, but I'm not sure.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

We have an after-market, non-heated bidet which was very inexpensive. I think my HWD uses it. I am not 100% sure of his bathroom hygiene, but he does not seem to stink any more than usual.

I know I like it and it cuts down to toilet paper use. 

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    We added a riser to my fathers toilet, (riser sits on the toilet bowl) then added a very inexpensive bidet, ordered from Amazon.  Needs no electric, options of warm or cold water wash. However to get warm, you must turn on the sink faucet to get the warm water to the bathroom. We have found it has been very helpful.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more