Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Iris L

Iris, I found your life story absolutely fascinating. If others want to read it, it can be found on Lorita's thread at the end on the page 4.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147558954

Thank you for sharing it!

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you, June!  What a fascinating story.  Iris, you  have so much to be proud of.  I am humbled reading about your life.  Well done!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

June, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Iris, you have much to be proud of. I understand that it's not like it was during the 50s and earlier, but undoubtedly you must have had several barriers to cross, and you did it with flying colors. Thanks for posting your story. I hope things get better for you.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Jo C suggested that we front porch friends post our life stories.  I have had a nurturing childhood, a fulfilling adulthood and now a challenging older adulthood.  There is much more that I didn't write.  I wanted to inspire and encourage people coming after me.  But my life has taken a different turn with the memory loss and other medical issues.  My aim is to keep my life fulfilling.  Thank you for reading.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I for one would be interested in the long version, Iris.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I would like to read the long version too Iris if you ever feel like writing it.
  • Ed1937
    That makes three of us so far.
  • Iris L.

Ah, the long version.  The funny thing is, while chatting with the Friends on the front porches, I recall tidbits of my younger life as topics come up.  Tidbits that had been buried in my mind, because they are not relevant to my daily life.

For example today I heard a story about a professor who had been fired because he confused two Black students.  The host wondered if people in Africa confused White people.  I wanted to tell him, it's not only people in Africa.  When I went on active duty, I was confronted with the young mothers of my pediatric patients.  ALL of the mothers looked the same to me--slim young blonde women.  I had to QUICKLY learn to think of them as individuals and not as a group. 

Over the years I grew out of thinking of people as being part of a group.  I worked with one woman, who in a conversation, referred to herself as being Japanese.  I had to look at her face to say, "that's right, you are Japanese."  I did not think of her as being in an ethnic group, but just as herself.  That's how my mind worked then.

Those are two tidbits.  I don't know how I would sting a lot of tidbits together because a lot of the tidbits are scattered around in my mind.  It would be an interesting challenge.

I forgot to mention, my aim now is also to take care of myself and not to become a burden to my family or friends.

Iris

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Thanks Iris for adding those additional tidbits...all very interesting and good insights!!

Now take care of yourself so you can continue to share with us on the forum!

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I have to add my name to the list of people who so admire you! Your life story, very short version, is amazing. Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration to so many! God bless you and take care!
  • M1
    Iris, your story about all the moms looking alike reminds me of another funny:  I'm sure you know what it's like when more of your patients recognize you out and about in the community, but you might not remember all their names.  i got my kids well trained to introduce themselves, so that when some one came up clearly knowing me (but I didn't remember their name), my kids would pipe up, "Hi, I'm S!" or "Hi, I'm R!".  This would frequently prompt people to introduce themselves so i could remember who they were.  Worked great, my daughter was especially adept at it.
  • Iris L.

M1, despite being smart, I was very shy with strangers, and rarely initiated conversations that were not related to work.  Also, I grew up in a time when young women did not talk to strangers, especially men.  All of that changed when I was in Alaska.  I discovered that people from far parts of Alaska knew about me as the African-American pediatrician on the base.  Strangers  recognized me and would greet me.  I was used to keeping my head down in public and used to ignoring strangers in public.  I QUICKLY realized that I had a public persona, and I learned to look up, smile and greet whomever greeted me.  Fortunately for me in Alaska, people were forthcoming in telling how they knew me.  People in Alaska are generally friendly and used to reaching out to others.  Now I talk to strangers--a lot.

Iris

• M1
    See, there's another story right there!  I have a suggestion you or others might like: check out Storyworth.com, it's a website that lets you collect your family stories (as answers to weekly questions) and then will print them for you. My kids gave me a year subscription for Christmas last year and its been a blast, something we have all enjoyed tremendously. A way to get those bits and pieces down. No endorsement, but we've loved it.
  • Ed1937
    M1, that sounds great. Thanks for the post. Get to work, Iris!
  • Iris L.

Thanks M1, Storyworth.com sounds like they have a solution for floating memories.  I will check it out.

Iris

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ml, 

My kids gave my husband and me a subscription last Christmas to Storyworth, also. It has been fun. For the questions for my husband, It takes a little while longer, and some of the questions he can’t remember, but we are getting more from him than I thought. 

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Iris,

i do not know how to get ahold of you personally. i too live in CA...Orange County. I have been following your story for  years. Is there a way i can get for email?

• Iris L.

Joydean, I'm glad your husband's memories are refreshed by Storytime.  It's true it can take us a longer time to remember.  When I was on the Alzheimer's Cruise, the leader asked us patients, what was our best gift as a child?  I just could not remember at the time.  In fact, my mind went blank and I became very upset because I felt like I had been set up to fail.  After a long while I don't remember how long, I did remember my best gift.  My best gift was a sewing machine I had asked for for Christmas.  I did so well in my sewing class at school that I wanted to do more projects at home.  My mom told me if they got me a sewing machine, that would be my only Christmas gift.  I said okay.  On Christmas morning I was surprised by my very own new sewing machine, but also by several other gifts, including clothing and games.  That was a nice story about how my parents stretched themselves to make me happy, but I couldn't recall it quickly.  Most of my recalls are like that--slow.

Cherjer, you can email me via connections. You can send me an invitation.  But I must warn you.  My energy level is shrinking.

Iris 

• ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 189
    100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

You’re the first Alaskan I’ve commented to. Richard (Ricardo) from South New Jersey Hi

• ricardo

Iris

• ricardo

5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One