Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tracking Device(2)

My wife’s home care nurse suggested I obtain a GPS tracking device for her to wear if she ever leaves the house on her own so that me or the authorities can find her.  The device should also have fall detection.  Anybody heard of such a gadget?  She also suggested that I obtain an alz med-alert bracelet for her with name, address and phone number in case she is found wandering.  I think alz association sells those.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The are many types of tracking devices these days depending on what you can get your wife to where. If she would wear a watch then an Apple Watch could provide tracking and fall detection but you have the up front cost and monthly cellular plan cost. I once tried a pierce of jewelry (necklace) that could do tracking but not fall detection. This was a much cheaper option but this particular device only used the AT&T cellular network so when you were in an area with no AT&T service the device was useless. 

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I have looked into these for my dad, who doesn't leave the house alone, yet.  Also for my mother incase she needs help, as dad would not even know how to dial the phone.

All of them are about the same...require a cellular plan...cost more to include the fall alert.  If you already have a cellular plan check their web site...they may have something.

Biggest problem I have with them is the "look".  My dad would not react well to a new device on his wrist or around his neck.  My mother will not consider the Apple watch as it is too big, and others are plastic looking things that hang from the neck.  I know that "look" should be not be important when providing safety, but getting them used is a whole different story for folks set in their ways.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My husband doesn’t go anywhere on his own yet, but I have bought tile tracking and I put it in the pocket of his pants. I can find him on my phone and also have it on my son’s phone! So either of us can know where he’s at.
  • loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Joydean,

Is there a distance limit on how far you are from the tile tracker?

My mother does not have a smart phone.  My daughter and I live 1 1/2 hrs away.  Could we locate him at that distance?

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Love, my husband can not even use a phone, but I can track him on my phone, and yes you can track him. I know there are many devices out there. I like the tile because it is small and DH doesn’t even know it’s in his pocket. I just have to remember to take it out before I do laundry.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I've had pretty good luck with Airtags.  You can get them on Amazon for $29 or 4 for $99.  They don't detect falls and you don't need to add it to your cell phone costs.  I have one with DH's keys that he keeps around his neck so I can track him.  I have an app on my phone where I can see where he is.  It's also great when he loses his keys because I tap the app and it sends a signal to the airtag and it starts beeping.  I put one in his wallet as well.  It has certainly cut down on searching around the house for missing keys and wallet.
  • Cinsababe
    Cinsababe Member Posts: 36
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    My husband wears one from Project Lifesaver provided free from our local sheriff office
  • extex
    extex Member Posts: 62
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks to you all who responded.  I have been researching the available tracking gadgets on the market.  I had no idea there were so many.  Unfortunately, in my poor state, only four counties participate in Project Lifesaver. Mine isn’t one of them.

I have found a couple of devices that will track and also detect falls.  They also provide two way voice communications.  Some of the el cheapie cell phone services won’t support these gadgets though.  I have Consumer Cellular and it will not even support Apple Watch.  I would really hate to go back to ATT. Again, thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more