Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Paris20

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
In another thread, you said "The other night, my husband sat bare-@ssed on our bed. By the time I told him not to do that, it was too late. I had to change all the linens and do a wash at midnight. " I just wonder if you're familiar with layering the bed? If you layered it, you wouldn't have to wash at midnight. If you're not familiar with it, we can walk you through it.

Comments

• Sarai
    Sarai Member Posts: 16
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Can you please walk me through layering, I am going through the same thing.

Thank you 

• Ed1937

Absolutely! This is how our bed is set up: The mattress is fully covered with a waterproof cover. Then I put a waterproof pad on that. Then a fitted sheet and a top sheet. Then a waterproof pad, a fitted sheet, a top sheet. Use as many layers as you want (waterproof pad, fitted sheet, top sheet). FYI, I use large size waterproof pads. Now if there is a reason to change bedding in the middle of the night, I can actually take one layer off, and set it aside to wash in the morning. This literally takes no more than two minutes to have a clean bed. I use three layers, although there have been times I wish I had four layers. 

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Hi Ed—-I layer the bed with a mattress cover, a pad underneath the sheet, and two large pads above the sheet. DH wears super overnight diapers with a super pad inside it. The problem was that he was getting ready for bed, the covers were partially off, and he was between his daytime and nighttime togs. He wanted to sit on the bed to put on the nighttime disposable underwear. I couldn’t act fast enough to stop it. He sat down on the sheet and the pads and also hit part of the top sheet. Now I direct him away from the bed if I suspect he’s about to sit while naked. However, I haven’t figured out how to get him clean down there more accurately without doing it myself. I’m not quite ready to tackle it but I know the day is coming soon.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed and Paris, you mentioned “large waterproof pads “, do you get these from Amazon? Or where?  Thank you
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Joydean—There are many places where you can buy waterproof pads. I bought mine at Amazon but many medical supply places also have them. I buy the washable pads. They have a waterproof fabric on one side and a quilted fabric on the other. I place the quilted fabric side up so that my husband is comfortable. If he leaks through, the waterproof part protects the sheet. As Ed said, it’s easy to put the pads in the wash. I have extras, so I can change pads quickly. The few times we’ve been away from home, I take disposable pads, also available at Amazon. I place two under the sheet and two above. I also bring a mattress cover, just in case.
  • FTDCaregiver
    FTDCaregiver Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Wow,  Not there yet with my DW, but this info is great to know, thanks all.
  • Ed1937

Without taking the sheets off, I'd say our pads are about 44 inches long by, I don't know, maybe  30 inches wide. If I lay it across the bed long way, it reaches almost all the way across the bed, which is a full size bed.  I wouldn't want any smaller. And I would definitely buy washable. Ours are very much like Paris'.

I'm not sure where it came from because our daughter ordered sheets and pads online, but I don't think it was Amazon. They are not difficult to find.

• Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Paris20,  My husband did that everynight simply because he didn't want to wear underwear to bed.  I seemed like I had tire tracks on the bed every morning when he got up.  So I took some old flat sheets and cut them crosswise and made the about inches long.  Enough to catch his tire tracks.  This goes on top of his fitted bottom sheet.  We don't need to layer the bed yet and he doesn't need depends yet but those horrible tire tracks were disgusting.  Now I just grab another  piece of bedsheet and replace the one on the bed.  No more washing the sheets every day!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more