Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Looking for more advice/opinions

My DH ended up being sectioned walking into neighbors homes, yelling and trying a few times to throw me physically out of home… Had delusions…. After a brief stay in geriatric psych, I had to place him in memory care because he wasn’t ready for home.  He was insisting I was not his wife and had a few delusions.  While at MC, his behaviors are back to normal or at least the normal he had been prior to the break.  The medications have done wonders.  I want to bring him home and a few staff in MC have asked if I considered it but am nervous about whether or not it will happen again and if it will follow same path… has anyone dealt with anything similar?  I have brought him home a few times and went to family for Thanksgiving and he did very well and had a great time.  I have taken him shopping and to movies and restaurants and he is very appropriate.  I just feel as though I owe him the opportunity to be in his home since he is currently stabilized.  I know he would do it for me if tables were turned.  I guess there is so much unknown when the brain is involved.. He says he is happy when home and would just like to be with me.  I also feel as though he may decline more quickly in MC because the only people he really talks to there are the staff.  There is not a lot of stimulation for him… he doesn’t like bingo, crafts so he just sits in his room and watches tv.  They offered a traditional AL room but he admitted to me that he would find it more confusing to try and learn his room again…etc.  Bringing him home would save me a ton of money as well….Opinions??

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Ask the medical professionals dealing with him

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Read Lady Texan's threads from last year or so.  She brought her husband home.  

Iris L.

• Sunrise24
    Sunrise24 Member Posts: 44
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks… will take a look and try to connect!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more