Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wants me to call police

One of the delusions DH has had for almost a year is that people are living in our attic at dusk by coming in through the crawlspace and going through a non-existent hole straight to the attic and then leaving at dawn and then has added a girl living upstairs (which we don't often use) who has a man coming to visit who also waits outside our bedroom window watching the house for hours. He's formed several reasons why he doesn't confront all these people and has been telling me about seeing them and conversations he overhears (he's almost deaf). A couple of weeks ago he's been adamant about setting the house alarm at dusk. Suddenly today he said we need to get rid of them and wants me to call the police to do it. I'm thinking if I can convince him the police got rid of them that will erase the delusion. I'm not sure how elaborate of a ruse to use, whether just telling him the police were here while he was asleep and got rid of them will be enough. Maybe going so far as telling him the police suggested putting a do-not-trespass notice up and if they're still there to call them and then telling him they arrested them and they're going to jail? Has anybody had a similar situation? Am I making it too complicated? Sure wish he'd forget his delusions like he does everything else! BTW, guns are locked away and he doesn't know where the key is or even how to use it.

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Can you pretend to be on the phone with the police? Tell him the police want you to go for a drive while they come in and remove all the people from the house and take them to another state.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I like the removal idea. 

Do what it takes but please do not reason with your husband. You might tell your huaband that the police say they will be patroling the area. Oh, and go ahead and turn the alarm on...leave some reminders for yourself that you have done so.

• Pam BH
    Pam BH Member Posts: 195
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Thank you, Gig Harbor and Jfkoc.  Wonderful idea!!
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DH goes through stages when he wants me to call the police. It was really bad about a year ago, when he felt "kids" were driving too fast past our house. I learned to fake calls to the police. I even told him about a report I made, and how the police set up a blocade and caught the guy. Ironically, we passed a police car on our backroad that same week. 

Now when he tells me to call I immediately get my phone and fake a call. Takes care of it right away. I even come up with some really creative stories. DS and I have had made some fun conversations out of it. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more