Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Another step down.

Starting at 12:30 am on Wednesday morning my mil started the first of two falls and 2 bed slips in 16 hours. Her balance is gone. Her desire to pace is not. Her ankle and knee are swollen. She’s hit her head twice. She’s going to walk until she falls and can’t walk anymore. We’ve resorted to putting the mattress on the floor and sleeping with her. We are waiting for a hospital bed but are not sure it will fit into the tiny house bedroom. Might have to put it in the living room. Hospice nurse is visiting again today. 

Thoughts and prayers for my husband please. He’s exhausted. He and the boys are still doing all the ranch chores because “cows gotta eat!” 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Prayers coming for all of you. Sorry you are dealing with this.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Prayers for your whole family! I hope things get better for all of you.
  • Farm Gal
    Farm Gal Member Posts: 69
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

We are heading down that road too.  My hubby's balance is about gone too.  He does walk with the walker everywhere which is a big help and he doesn't pace because he simply can't.  He has no stamina.  I'm sure we are heading to a wheelchair and then being bedfast.  Last week I pulled the wheelchair to the dining table and removed his chair.  So much easier to get him pushed up to the table.  

I finally sold all the cattle about 3 years ago because I am not fond of feeding big round bales of hay in the snow and cold -- especially when the twine is froze to the bale.  Good luck!  

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Doing anything without sleep is so hard. Would it be possible for you to hire a caregiver to spend from 10pm to 6am with her so all of you can sleep?
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    I'm so sorry.  Sending hugs and prayers.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I’m truly sorry for all this emotional pain and physical exhaustion. My husband refuses any help because he thinks he’s fine. He falls, can’t lift himself out of bed or a chair, but yells at his aide if she offers to help him. It is beyond exasperating. My heart goes out to your husband and to you and your children.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Prayers coming your way.
  • RanchersWife
    RanchersWife Member Posts: 172
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thank you guys for the support. I didn’t mean to post in the spouse forum. After two days of sleeping all day and thrashing all night she spent today pacing again. A hospital bed was delivered. It’s not going to keep her in. Dh will blow up an air mattress and sleep next to her again. It worked pretty well last night. I’ve been praying a 54 day novena and most of my intentions have been answered. I’m afraid that the last one will be to and God will take her home before she falls and breaks something.  We have a caregiver tomorrow!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more