Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Arrrrrgh!

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I had to run to the store this morning. One of our sons stayed with her. When I got home, she was all upset. She wanted to get a coke, but she spills it all over the place when she pours it. Then she spills it on the floor as she walks from the kitchen to living room.. He wanted to get it for her, but she wanted to get it herself. I have told him before not to let her get it, so she was pissed. She told me she was going to live with her grandmother. I explained that I couldn't take her because my medication must be kept between 38 and 42 degrees and I couldn't do that while driving that far (not true, but she accepts that). She will wait till one of our daughters can take her.

Fast forward a couple of hours. She gets a call from a cousin. I didn't hear all of the conversation, but at some point she must have told her she was going to live with her grandmother. Her cousin told her that her grandparents both died about 50 years ago. That really upset her. Next time she calls, I'll have to tell her not to mention the deaths. She did know of the dementia, just didn't know how  to handle conversations like that.

Comments

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    So sorry Ed! The cousin should have known better than that.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Just a guess Ed, but if this "grandmother" were to be real, you would have packed DW's bags, loaded her in the car and taken her to grandma's house before that coke could be digested!

But sorry about the cousin's faux pas...just something else to deal with.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Tervis drink glass with lid. That is all I use since I tend to knock over my drinks on my desk with regularity...lol
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Ed, I can empathize on both counts. My wife spilled at least one Coke per day, the last month before she went to memory care. On the living room carpet, on the couch, on the dog. As I’ve related before, she would stash the bottles behind and under the couch cushions, sometimes half full with the tops off. Second couch she ruined. 

On the issue of relatives that just don’t get it, I have one of those also. I know that we who live with a PWD know much more than others about talking to and dealing with them. Most relatives and friends who have been with us on our dementia journey have enough insight to know that they don’t know, and take it heir lad from me. Some others not so much.   

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I wish DH had a grandmother to go live with....

It sounds like quite a day for you. I'm hoping today was better. And I second the thought of a cup with a lid. That's what I use, because I've been known to spill my drinks too!

DH drinks soda from a can. He's started holding the can upside down as the drink pours out all over. Then when he realizes it's spilling everywhere he waves the can around - spraying soda- because he can't figure out why it's raining soda.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    JoseyWales wrote:

I'm hoping today was better. 

Today was better, but the first thing she said this morning, before even getting out of bed, was how her grandparents were both gone, and she didn't even get to say goodbye. 

He's started holding the can upside down as the drink pours out all over. 

My wife will pop the can open, then have the hole at the three o'clock position when she pours it. Ninety five percent goes on the cabinet/floor.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed - DH also has trouble figuring out how to hold the can so the hole is in the right spot as he drinks. He catches himself quickly, but I have to turn the can around because he can't figure out the problem. He doesn't do it all the time, usually it's when he's in the car or when the can is about empty. 

It's always something, isn't it?

I'm hoping she'll forget her grandparents passed soon and goes back to just wanting to live with them.

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Oh man Ed, so sorry for what you're going through. So far my wife is not spilling things, unless you count urine leaking from over-filled Depends at night. And (knock on wood) she is still unfailingly cheerful.On the other hand I'm the one saying Arrrrgh!
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ed, I so understand what you are saying about the spilled Coke. It is frustrating.

My DH spills his coffee and gin and tonic wherever he walks while carrying them. 

Mostly on the kitchen and dining room hardwood floors, so it is an easy fix. Sometimes it is in front of his recliner or on the area rug in the living room. For a time. I would go right to the kitchen and pour the coffee cups and take his to the table next to his chair. 

We drink our coffee in the living room which is so bright and full of sun shine in the morning.

A couple of weeks ago, he got up in the morning,  and rushed to the kitchen to fill the coffee cups and spilled about a 1/4 of the cups walking to the living room. I got down and scrubbed everything up, but figured out he was in a race to do it before I did. ha

He has now gotten over that game and so we are back to me getting the coffee in the mornings.

He won't drink out of a traveling mug unless we are traveling and got mad when I suggested it one morning a few weeks ago. 

As for his gin and tonics, he has been drinking one and sometimes two for well over 40 years. He is so hyper focuses on having those drinks, I don't try to convince him to stop. I myself don't drink any alcohol unless it is at a special event or occasion, but that doesn't matter to him. 

I am sorry the cousin brought your DW up to date on the passing of her grandmother so many years ago.  Perhaps she will forget about that comment soon. We can only hope. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more