Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My husband died over a year ago

I ran into an old friend of his today at a local store. He asked me how he was. I told him he has died. He was shocked, but I could have sworn I have already told him this. All of his past acquaintances always act shocked. I feel bad, but it's like if you don't want to know, don't ask. I also buried a favorite Uncle two days ago from the same thing. It's a terrible, terrible disease.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

A prominent woman in my city just passed a few days ago.  She died of Alzheimer's Disease.  She was 90 years old.  Alzhimer's Disease is very common but you don't hear much about it.

Iris

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    For some people, Alzheimer’s Disease is still an embarrassment. I suppose it’s similar to the shame of mental illness. There’s still that unfortunate stigma. When I read that a person of a certain age «died after a lengthy illness,» I suppose it’s likely cancer or dementia. I feel no such embarrassment when I tell my friends and family about my husband’s illness. I also do not accept offers of hope for improvement. I try to politely explain that there is currently no improvement with this disease. Hope and prayers can go only so far. Compassion and empathy are greatly appreciated.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more