Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I found the TV remote in his glass of water

Of course it is not the end of the world. Its just one of many of the minor annoyances that are sprinkled into the long, miserable Alzheimer's journey.

dang it. This disease is heartbreaking, soul sucking and relentless in creating yet another problem to solve.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, it seems as though you've dealt with just about anything there is to deal with. I'm sorry you have yet another problem.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Lady T, hopefully with some drying out in a warm place the remote will work again! This thing of putting things in random locations is definitely annoying. I've found orchard prunings in the back seat of our car and kitchen utensils in the refrigerator. Worse yet is the things that just disappear. I've searched the house and property thoroughly and a half dozen items are no where to be found!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    There are some things that just add insult to injury, don’t they? You can’t possibly prevent them all. Kinda like having a toddler again. My daughter put an apple slice in the VCR when she was two, because she was scared of the tiger in the Jungle Book. Who’d a thunk it, but it did stop the tiger.  This ranks with that kind of stunt.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It is definitely toddler time! I remember when our daughter fixed our camera. She put Vaseline all in every little hole her tiny fingers could get in!  

Sorry about your remote! My DH dropped ours, the back came off, batteries went in different directions, and he said it was my fault!  No responsibility. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Not a remote and not an Alz patient, but a memory that makes me laugh every time I think of it.  My grandson dropped his cell phone in the pool several years ago.  At age 12, he immediately went into panic mode anticipating his father’s reaction since he’d been warned numerous times about taking the phone by the pool.  Trying to be of help, I mentioned that putting it in a bowl of rice might dry it out and thus avoid his dad’s wrath.  He asked if I had any rice and I directed him to a cabinet by the stove and forgot about it.  About 15 minutes later, he appeared poolside, pleased as punch and carrying a steaming bowl of quinoa and brown rice, prepared in the microwave and with the cell phone submerged.  Needless to say, the phone was inoperable, but his dad even had a good laugh despite the smoke pouring out of his ears.  

Maybe try the remote in a bowl of uncooked rice.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    I'm sorry LT.

This is a classic example of the kind of miscellaneous financial hit that is part of the dementia journey. A dear friend was helping her mom get ready for bed one night- my friend was removing mom's state-of-the-art hearing aids which mom promptly grabbed and dropped into the denture bath. 

HB
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

@HB you are so right about the miscellaneous financial hit. 

Fortunately, its a Roku TV and I was able to download the Roku app on my phone and use my smartphone to control the TV. Since DH watches the same channel ALL DAY LONG its not that big a deal today. 

• FTDCaregiver
    FTDCaregiver Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Ahhh..the old hide the remote ploy!  Yes, before I learned to place it outta site, it came up missing and off on a scavenger hunt I went, a 1/2 hour later found it in our walk-in closet stuffed in one of my DW's purses.  Of course, that's where it belonged all the time, shoulda known as my DW loves walking around the house with her purses.  Had to laugh when I found it though.
  • Yorklady53
    Yorklady53 Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

You’re right. None of this is the end of the world but sometimes it’s just the straw that broke the camel’s back. My DH always took total control of the tv and consequently the remote. That was fine with me because the tv was pretty much background noise to me anyway. Now I’m sad to say that the remote is mine. I no longer have to hide it from him though as he no longer bothers with it.

He did throw away my Apple pencil. I had it on my iPad charging whenI went back to the bedroom. When I came back out a few minutes later it was gone. I looked everywhere and when I didn’t find it I asked him if he took it. Of course he denied it so I asked my cleaning lady to be on the lookout for it because our cats would sometimes knock it off and it would roll under a piece of furniture. We moved to our new home over a month ago and our old house was totally empty with the pencil nowhere to be found. I mentioned the fact to DH and he actually grinned from ear to ear. I’m convinced he did it and actually remembered his little adventure.

Beach fan, the story of your grandson is priceless! It sure made me laugh!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more