Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

How to explain why you are placing them in MC

billS
billS Member Posts: 180
Third Anniversary 100 Comments

In a previous thread I shared my dilemma of when would be the right time to place my wife in memory care, and got lots of good feedback. Now it's time and I've found a good place and started the necessary paperwork. So now my question is, how do I explain why I am leaving her at the facility? My wife is mostly cheerful and looks to me for support and security, so I can't just deliver her to the facility without some explanation. It would almost be easier if she were hostile toward me, but instead she trusts me. So I need to concoct a lie that she will accept. I'm thinking something like, "My brother (miles away) needs me to help with a big project so I will not be able to take care of you for a few days, so you will be safe and cared for here." Or, closer to the truth, "The doctor said my blood pressure is too high and he wants me to relax alone for a few days." Or how about, "I need to go on a long hike and practice my primal screaming!" 

Anyway, I'd appreciate hearing how others handles this delicate situation where the spouse is probably not onboard with placement. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    billS wrote:

Or, closer to the truth, "The doctor said my blood pressure is too high and he wants me to relax alone for a few days." Or how about, "I need to go on a long hike and practice my primal screaming!" 

I hope these are tongue in cheek.  Make the excuse something that is outside of you and her, such as you have to go out of town for work.

Iris

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Will be thinking of you Bill. Any of those will work, and she will trust you.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bill, Maybe you could find a “problem” with your home that requires immediate remediation and for her to stay somewhere while you fix the problem. Possible ideas could be mold in the attic, an issue with water or termite infestation. That way you could say it will be a temporary move while the problem is addressed then once placed if she ask you could just say the work will be finished in a few more days.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Joe C. wrote:
    Bill, Maybe you could find a “problem” with your home that requires immediate remediation and for her to stay somewhere while you fix the problem. Possible ideas could be mold in the attic, an issue with water or termite infestation. That way you could say it will be a temporary move while the problem is addressed then once placed if she ask you could just say the work will be finished in a few more days.
    Thanks Joe and others. I have about a month to make a final decision on accepting an available room in my MC facility of choice. Hopefully in that time a plausible reason will become clear.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Bill, I used the truth; I needed an operation followed by recovery time. Although the initial placement was for one month, it became clear hat I could not care for her as well as the MCF could.  The staff was prepared to reassure her with this story as long as necessary, but she settled right in. 

You could use the operation story or one of the others suggested, just clue in the staff so they can back up your story. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more