Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

we're in the movies

DH and I were watching a Christmas movie last night.  Halfway through he got all excited and said we are in the movie.  He saw himself, me and other members of the family.   Even the commercials had us. I asked him if they were people that looked like us and he said no it was us.  He was happy to see us in the movie and was laughing and talking to the tv.  He remembered today and again said it was us.  

About a month ago he kept saying we were in a movie.  I had no clue what he was talking about.  But after last night I realized I was watching a movie before he said it.  

He has seen our son at night in the hall when he wasn't there.  He has heard and smelled things in the middle of the night that were not there.  I'm guessing these could be hallucinations but what about the movies?  Would that be a hallucination?  

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    caberr...interesting. Sounds like a hallucination to me since he saw it. I do get confused at times about the difference between hallucinations and delusions.  However, I hope the character playing you was young and gorgeous.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    caberr wrote:

He has seen our son at night in the hall when he wasn't there.  He has heard and smelled things in the middle of the night that were not there.  I'm guessing these could be hallucinations but what about the movies?  Would that be a hallucination?  

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, those would all be hallucinations because they all involve the senses. I have a son who has had delusions that our whole family is working with the police to have him put in jail. He also believes that his phone is tapped by the FBI. These are ridgid beliefs that are not true, but do not involve the senses. These are delusions. 

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband has what I’d call auditory delusions. He hears strange sounds. He sometimes wakes me in the middle of the night, asking if I heard an unusual sound. Part of his problem is that he can no longer identify common noises…a car or truck, a plane or helicopter, a creaking old house. I tell him all is well, he falls asleep, and I remain awake.

My husband also has daily delusions about where we are. He asks when we’ll go home. He even remarks that the hotel where we’re staying looks very similar to our house. He compliments me on finding a place that makes him feel so at home. He’s surprised that I even brought our beagle to this hotel. Since he cannot keep up with what’s on TV, he is stymied by the transition from regular programs to commercials, which seem like non sequiturs to what he’s been watching. And when we watch travelogues, he often thinks we are actually in the country being featured. Broken brain does not begin to describe this horrible disease.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Ed1937 - I never thought about delusions.  Thanks for that information

June45 - LOL, kind of wish it was me in the movie! 

Paris20 - it is hard in the middle of the night.  Then he wonders why I'm so tired during the day

• Lcpsurry
    Lcpsurry Member Posts: 12
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

My husband does the same thing! He thinks he sees himself or family on tv!

He smells things too, but read that with alzheimers smelling, hearing and seeing things not there are common.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more