Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

ADUHELM PRICE.

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I am not someone who obsesses over rare side effects of medication. That being said, I would not  let a loved one take this medication even if it were free.  The damage it causes to the brain in 40% of the patients is the last thing a dementia patient needs.

In addition, the Medicare premium for 2022 went up twice as much as expected due to the high price tag for this drug.  Is Medicare going to lower their 2022 premium now? 

• A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments

The only reason I posted this was to let people know they dropped their price.

How would I know what Medicare is going to do? I"ll  pay more just like everyone else.

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

New price $28,200 per year. 

Many major medical centers have indicated they won’t prescribe. Medicare hasn’t made a decision yet, and even a Medicare decision does not mean insurances will pay. Cynical me thinks they cut the price hoping to influence a positive response from Medicare and insurances.

Thanks for posting this. While I don’t think the drug is worth the (even discounted) price, and I know that my DH is past the stage it is approved for, I do like to keep up on dementia drug news, and I had missed this.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,761
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks for the update....
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Call me a cynic, but the very slow uptake for the drug is likely a major driver of the 50% price drop.  Biogen is losing patent protection on its multiple sclerosis therapies and Aduhelm is the hoped-for replacement to sustain sales.

But the European Medicines Agency just recommended against approval, while the US Rx uptake has been understandably slow, given the highly uncertain benefit, significant side effects, and high cost.  Biogen is under a lot of pressure from investors for this drug to succeed in the market.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, as my DW is way past any potential benefit from this therapeutic.

• A losing hand.
    A losing hand. Member Posts: 44
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Comments
    JJ401, jfkoc, Jeff86, Thank's for the reply.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more