Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

My 3rd anniversary on the forum

I am tremendously grateful for this forum. 
When I joined this forum in 2018. I was scared and naive and sad and confused. I didn't know the difference between a neuro surgeon and a neurologist. I didn't know dementia was an umbrella term. I didn't know what was in store for us on this unpredictable journey. At the time, we didn't have a diagnosis.

The caregiver heroes here have been patient and kind and supportive. Thank you all for teaching me so much. Thank you for holding me up during the difficult times. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Thank you for joining me in celebrating the wins.

I am sorry that we each have a need to be here. I am grateful that we have found each other and help each other.

God bless you all.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Lady, I was thinking my three year anniversary was coming up, but it's actually my fourth. You are correct when you note how important this forum is to us. Like you, when I joined I knew next to nothing about dementia, and I thank everyone for teaching me what I now know. And yes, Lady, I've learned quite a bit from you too.

When I joined, we didn't have a diagnosis either, but I was pretty sure what the diagnosis would be. I did not know it was fatal, and I learned that soon after joining. I remember how I felt when I learned that, and that pushed me into learning what I could. I'm so glad I did, but I'll never know what many of you already know, and I'm so grateful for everyone when they share. Thanks for the thread.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

You make me think of the old joke "The bishop had a good memory since he remembered back before he deserved hanging"

I signed on two years after EOAD diagnosis almost 3 years after MCI and I am still here more than 7 years later in need of  support from everybody . 

I just found out they have 3 new covid cases in DW's facility , so I will not be visiting for Christmas

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Lady and Ed, I think we all joined about the same time! Like you, I’ve learned so much from everyone! 

Crushed, I’m so sorry! 

Thank you all for your wisdom and support! 

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I join in the thanks given to all who post here...whether it is to ask for help, or offer their experiences and information about how to help our LOs.  The joining of minds and hearts helps each person here to deal with another day.

As the holiday nears, each of us faces tough decisions or circumstances regarding celebrations with others and our LO.  

As long as our LO is in our heart, it doesn't matter what the date on the calendar is.  

May memories of better holidays of the past serve to dull the pain of today.

Hugs to all, 

Marie

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

You’ve all been so helpful to me even though you have so much more to deal with than I do.sometimes I don’t know how you can put up with all of us relative newbies when you have been dealing with this for years. 

Crushed - I’m sorry you cannot visit your wife on the actual holiday. I know it’s meaningful to you to do so.    

• billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ditto what others have said, this forum is a lifeline. I've read lots of books on dementia and watched videos, but nothing compares to hearing the actual experiences of those in the caregiver's role. Thanks to all of you for the advbice you've given me.
  • FTDCaregiver
    FTDCaregiver Member Posts: 40
    10 Comments First Anniversary

Lady et al,

I'm still new here, but agree, so much knowledge, experience and understanding I've not found elsewhere.  Though DW was diagnosed, didn't know what that really meant for her and I.  Thanks to you and all. 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I agree with what everyone said. We learn the most from those in the trenches! Way more knowledge and loving understanding here than anywhere else. Thanks everyone!
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happy anniversary, LT.  Your courage has been an inspiration for me.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Coming up on my 4th anniversary here in April.  This forum has been a life saver.  How to solve todays problems and what to expect tomorrow.   Each day goes very slowly for me but the years have gone by quickly.   Merry Christmas to all, I hope your new year is better.  Rick
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I thought about saying congratulations to n those with anniversaries for being on this site. But It it just doesn’t feel right. I am grateful to each of you for sharing your thoughts, experience, your wisdom and knowledge. I have read many books, they are informative. However book knowledge can never replace personal experience. Real life. So thank you all.

God bless each of us and our love ones!

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    LT you give me gifts of humor, sympathy, grit, and gratitude every day. All of you do. I am beyond grateful. I consider myself an honorary Texan, if there is such a thang (Texan by marriage maybe?)
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I was surprised to check and discover that it’s just two years that I’ve been part of this forum.  Maybe it seems longer because this is such a welcoming, generous community, full of wisdom, honesty, and courage.  Maybe, too, because I’ve come to think of you all as virtual friends, as we share our experiences—both wins and losses—and keep one another company on this otherwise very lonely journey.

I am grateful to you all beyond words.

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

LT enjoy your posts and thoughts.

Crushed I’m sorry this is happening.  

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I too am a grateful member of this post. Five years ago I began looking for information about behaviors I was observing in my DW and I found this site and return here on an almost daily basis. I read the posts and while some fit me more than others all apply to me in some way. This identity makes me believe that I am not alone. 

I often feel that I am on an emotional roller coaster and I experience anxiety from what's going to happen next to questioning if DW has a disease at all.This is a wide gap. It sometimes feels like all our relationship problems in our 55 years of marriage have become magnified and permanent. We have always been able to find resolution but now we have a third party , named "dementia" who has taken over. 

This site permits me some support and temporary relief. A sudden loud noise will cause me to jump three feet off my chair. What's that about? 

Best wish to all for a happy and peaceful holiday.

Dave

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Lady, you are like a shining light in this dark dementia tunnel. I am grateful for you, you remind me of important things.

You remind me 

to count my blessings

to be kind

to keep my chin up.

I'd be lost without everyone here. I've learned many things that can't be found in books. 

Thank you all. 

Crushed, I'm very sorry you won't be able to be with her on Christmas day. Thank you for sharing your love story with us. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more