Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinations, paranoia, and feeling trapped

My mother is 60 and has early onset Alzheimer’s. She has recently started having hallucinations where she thinks my father is going to kill her. I live next door and my brother lives with them to help. We both agree that is not what is happening. She has tried wandering off/ running away and now often says she feels trapped. 

Since her diagnosis a few years ago she has basically shut down speech wise and stopped all her hobbies. We are working on getting her back into her hobbies and have planned to have a day where I take her to lunch and another day where my brother does the same each week. Our sister handles her episodes by reminding her that she has Alzheimer’s which leads to her having a breakdown because it’s like she is learning she has it for the first time each time this happens. 

Has anyone else experienced this and found methods or things that help with this? Also things we can do for my dad to help him deal with this behavior? We are thinking this may be our new normal with her for a while. 

Thanks. 

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Leahmcknz wrote:

. Our sister handles her episodes by reminding her that she has Alzheimer’s which leads to her having a breakdown because it’s like she is learning she has it for the first time each time this happens. 

Welcome Leah.  Your mom has anosognosia.  This is a characteristic of dementia that causes the PWD (person with dementia) not to be aware of having dementia or any limitations.  If you confront her with reality she will resist and become upset.  This is not denial.  Don't keep reminding her.  You will have to learn new ways of communicating with her, and you will have to learn work-arounds to get things done.  Learn from the members.  They are knowledgeable and experienced and willing to share.   If you post on the Caregivers board many more will see your thread and respond to you.

Also, your mom probably can't do any hobbies.  Ask the members about activities.  Best wishes to you. 

Iris

• Mcphesh1
    Mcphesh1 Member Posts: 1
    First Comment First Anniversary
    New member. My sister was diagnosed with early onset dementia at 56.  Short term memory is definitely getting worse. There have been some traumatic things happen in past 6 months. She was living with my mother who was in poor health and we moved her into assisted living about 6 weeks before our mother passed away.  My sister has had a few violent incidents when I show up where she has thrown things at me and/or just angry.. She tells everyone that I haven't visited her although I go multiple times a week to check on her, bring her things or take her out to dinner etc. She recognizes me but she doesn't remember that I show up. Every visit I spend time convincing her that I didn't lose her or forget her and that I just can't be there all the time because I have to work.  Any suggestions to make this easier on her?

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more