Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Adult diaper question

Hi all, this fall I read about adult diapers that absorbed better than most. For the life of me, I can't find the post where it was discussed.

My DH is still continent, so it isn't a question for him, but for my 102 year old mother.

She does not have Alzheimers and still lives on the farm alone, where I grew up. I live 600 miles from her and my sister lives 1000 miles away.

What Mother does have going on after 102 years is the inability to hold her urine.

Currently she wears Depends with an extra feminine long napkin added.  

I forget which one she uses, as my sister orders them for her. When we were there last week to celebrate her birthday, I watched her struggle with the urine leaking through and wetting her slacks.  She is mostly housebound with a Seniors helping Seniors who comes three afternoons a week and takes her to the hair dresser each Friday, so she does get out.

Mother also uses the computer so my sister and I get emails from her several times a day.  

She is particular that the diapers don't show  when she does get out, but when she is home most of the time and has to deal with leakage, I thought it might be worth a try to find her something more absorbent than what she is currently using.

Thanks so much. 

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Nancy, using a feminine pad that has a plastic backing on it could create more problems.  You can buy booster pads that are meant to be placed in a pull-up or a brief.  There are several quality brands of disposable pull-ups: Tranquility, Abri-Flex and DryDirect. They are all good and what would fit your Mom best depends on her physique.  All three company have 800 numbers and will send you free samples.

https://tranquilityproducts.com/product-category/protective-underwear/

https://abenausa.com/products/abri-flex

Dry Direct products:  https://www.parentgiving.com/

I use Abri-Flex and Dry Direct Ultimate Booster Pads for my husband.

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thank you June, for the reply.

My mother is about 5'1" and weighs around 110-113 pounds.

That is good to know about the sanitary napkin comment! No doubt that is causing her leakage problems. She drinks so little water/liquids because of the leaking, it is sad. 

I will check out the links you sent and see about some samples.

Nancy

• June45

Good luck Nancy.  There are other good brands, like Tena. It really just comes down to the fit, especially around the thighs so that leakage will be minimized.

P.S. Your 102 year old mom is amazing!!!

• tcrosse
    tcrosse Member Posts: 44
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    After some trial and error I found the Amazon house brand, Solimo, which well suited my petite DW. The leg-holes were tight enough but the capacity was large enough that they stop leakage.
  • June45
    tcrosse, interesting about the Amazon house brand. Trial and error is the key since every brand is cut a little different.  Nancy, if your husband should need incontinent underwear in the future, you will be ahead of the game!!!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nancy, here's a link to the ones we use. https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/dry-direct-ultimate-protective-underwear-for-adults-9300/p/?onsite=ddspecial  They also offer extra pads if you should need them, but they really hold a lot of liquid! When I put in our first order, they sent me a complimentary bag of the pads. We haven't needed them, but I keep them just in case. The pads, if I remember correctly measure 14 inches long!! I have ordered three times for an order of 72, so they last for a while. We only use them at night, and we use lower quality during the day because she uses the bathroom much of the time during the day. But June is right when she says trial and error might be the tool you'll need to find what is right for you. These are the best I've found for us, and I've tried other quality brands.
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Thanks June, tcrosse, and Ed, that's a lot of helpful information that I will use now and save for DH when I need them for him.  

June, thanks, my mother is amazing. She drove her car until she was 99 when she fell and broke her hip after tripping on a rug going into the garage to see why her car would not start.  She underwent surgery for a new hip on her 99th birthday and returned home after a little less than 90 days in rehab..  Age is but a number, but those numbers do add up and so she struggles. All in all she is very fortunate, as the only times she has been in the hospital is when she gave birth to my sister and me and when she broke her hip. She's lucky to be incredibly healthy. Her family is long lived with most of the 12 children living into their 90s and 100s.   

She remembers her 90s like they were her teenage years saying she did this and that, which she did. She was running around Europe and visiting relatives in Norway when she was in her 70s.

My dad died in 1971 when they were both 50,  so she has been alone and on her own for a long time. 

Merry Christmas everyone!

• June45
    Nancy, Merry Christmas to you also.  Hope you are blessed with your mom's good genes!!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more