Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Beachfan

Beachfan, Given our parallel journeys I just wanted to check in and see how you doing with the holidays approaching and how things are going for your husband. From my end, DW continues to do well living at the MC and I am starting to adjust to a new routine. I initially thought I would not decorate the house for Christmas as that was always a big deal for DW but in the end I decided I had to do. It was a difficult day but I’m glad I did it. I’m getting worried about possible visitation restrictions with the resurgence of covid but I’ll deal with that when the time comes. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Comments

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thanks for checking in, Joe.  Things are quiet here, but not much different from the past several years.  I did decorate with great help from the six year old, Allie.  I haven’t “shopped” for years- - found out long ago that cash ( and Hershey Park season passes) is ideal- - one size fits all, no returns.  I am so lucky to have two kids, their spouses, and 7 grandkids within walking distance so we will all get together for my son in law’s entirety too indulgent Christmas Eve seafood fest. Christmas day dinner will be at my son’s home with 5 adults, 7 kids and two dogs.  Both get togethers are traditional, but had become too confusing and agitating for DH.  

DH is doing “well” at his MCF.  He is clean, well fed and clearly pampered by caregivers.  I get there at least once week, usually just before lunch.  I help him with lunch, take him for a few laps around his cottage and sit awhile with him.  He doesn’t know me so arriving and leaving are sad, but free of drama.  I miss his pacing and gibberish in the late afternoons, but then I don’t. I am becoming more at ease with the placement decision. I am trying to remain positive about the COVID situation;  for a long while DH’s MCF has been incident free. 

I am enjoying the freedom to just pick up and go when needed or desired, without so much advance preparation or the worry about leaving DH or taking him along.  I’ve been to a number of the grandkids’ concerts and sporting events and am available when they need rides or a place to crash.  That’s fun.  On the downside, I’ve had  to attend to some minor medical issues (2 years late for a colonoscopy and Mohs surgery on some skin cancers- - too much beach!) I’m an avid reader and am loving the opportunity to browse the library and read for hours.  And my latest guilty pleasure is binge watching “Call the Midwife” on Netflix.  

So there it is!  Not at all the “golden years” we’d planned, but many good years leading to today.  I hope your wife continues to adjust well to her MCF and that you have a  nice Christmas and a Happy New Year and continue to cope with your  new normal.  I will be thinking about you. Thank you again for asking after us.  

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Great to hear from both of you!  I will admit I am little jealous of the free time you have. But you both have gone the distance so I am glad you are getting some much needed respite.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I too am glad to know you are both okay.  Thinking of you and all our forum friends who have loved ones in memory care.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Joe, beach fan, thank you for your updates, it was a pleasure to read them
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

It's great to hear that both of your LOs are adjusting to their new way of life. I hope you can both enjoy the holidays coming up.

Beachfan, I'm sorry to hear of your skin problems. Sending good thoughts your way.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more