Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Update- Tasks and House Rules for home care aide

Belated thank you for the great tips you shared in response to my OP. https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147559192

I will keep these in my back pocket along with the official task list of approved services provided by the agency (they are paid by the Agency on Aging, or Age Options program that‘s funding the home help, whenever we can finally identify an aide.) 

I feel so fortunate that DH (and I!) are eligible for this much-needed subsidized help, but we hit another snag on the path to relief from my 24/7 eagle-eye, hands on, line of sight caregiving for this 6d exit-seeker....

After all my prepping to make the best use of 5 days/ a week help... Darned (@#*!)if I didn’t forget the most important thing until she was en route— when I thought to confirm vaccination status. wait for it... “not vaxxed & not planning on it”. (What?!!)  So after they completed every possible errand and socially distant activity I could think of (KN95 masked), needless to say we are finished before we really started. End of day 1, we are again looking for a new aide. Just that fast. Sigh. All I want for Christmas...

For the record, here is the Caregiver’s timesheet—Plan of Care Task list for when I finally find a (vaccinated) replacement:

• Eating 
  • Bathing
  • Grooming
  • Dressing
  • Transferring
  • Continence
  • Telephoning
  • Prep Meals
  • Laundry
  • Housework
  • Routine Health
  • Assistance Outside
  • Being Alone (companion care)
  • Transportation
  • Errands
Sending a special holiday shoutout to all you amazing caregivers on these boards. We do all this, and more - either hands on or advocating for our LOs every day. (No wonder I’m so tired lol). Wishing you some special moments of peace and joy this holiday season, and the support you/we need, in the new year.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Unbelievable, but believable. One of the reasons I'm hesitant to seek help yet, I think vaccinated help is going to be vanishingly rare in our area.  So sorry BW.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Some of the care aides from nursing homes who refused mandatory vaccinations and were let go or who quit are now out doing private duty.   When asking about vaccination, I would want to see the actual vaccination card along with another form of identity.  Too much unethical stuff going on. 

For the aides notebook; I also listed any idiosyncrasies my LOs had; including in food, bathrooming, dressing, activity, etc.; I also listed what was upsetting to my LO and what soothed my LO if upset.  I listed favorite TV programs and anything else that would make a difference.

I gave a good list of contact numbers for myself as well as for backup if I was somehow not available.  NOTE:  Good idea to list your street address and keep it not only in  the notebook you are making,but also getting it fixed right next to your telephone should an emergency or urgent call need to be made.

Through experience, even though I had a solid "no smoking and no drinking policy," I also had a written strict"no smoking policy anywhere on the property," in our notebook as well as a strict "no personal visitors policy; not even on the porch."  Those came from some unfortunate incidents.  Some aides give a very good interview, but when working there were a few who lied and/or who are disasters after hiring.  We changed aides three times before we were blessed to have a wonderful person come our way.  One aide who had interviewed well, but while I was at work, even left my dependent LO alone and went shopping at a mall that was a good 30 minutes away!  Found that out after the fact.

Also learned the hard way . . . the aide is NOT to accept any gifts or goods from the Loved One whatsoever.  Amazing how that can happen no matter how hampered the LO may be.

Do know that if you hire an aide through an agency, it is a good idea to find out if the aide is an actual employee of the agency, or whether the agency is a "clearing house," in which the aide is self-employed but picks up available jobs from an agency who places them.  Big difference.  If the aide is self-employed, make sure that you have adequate coverage for a healthcare worker in your homeowner's policy.  If one gets injured or claims an injury in your home, you could find yourself responsible for the costs of medical care.  I got this coverage and I think it was around $120 for the year. 

It can be easy to find an aide, but much harder to keep them. When you find a good person, treat them like gold.  I would give a small gift or gift certificate; not frequently, but from time to time and was sure to provide a nice gift at Christmas.  Little items and expression of appreciation can mean so much.   It is not easy work.  Multiple people in the senior community my LOs lived in tried to "steal" our wonderful aide, but fortunately she had bonded with us and stayed.   So glad of that.

So hope you will find just the right person who will make a big difference for you. 

J.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney