Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Planning for day care

My dh is still doing ok driving and going to coffeeshops, but I can see the time coming that he won't be able to. I try to make plans four months out, during my breaks so during the semester I have fairly smooth sailing. That said, I'm thinking perhaps I should start him at the day care one day a week now so when he needs to go full time it's an easier transition.

I find it easy to decide that, but difficult to imagine implementation. I think it would actually be easier to implement at the point I'm actually taking away the car keys. He's not doing any of the things the Alz site or AARP suggest would be time to take away the car keys, and his insurance agent says he's fine driving when I discussed it with her.

We're scheduled for our April 2020 cruise this April after a two year delay, and I could see starting him when we get back.

I don't even know what I'm asking here, just trying to talk things through, maybe.

Comments

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    If your husband can still drive and go to coffee shops I don’t think he would benefit from day care. I just looked at one for my husband and he would have been the highest functioning one there and he can’t drive and gets lost going for walks, can’t use a phone and needs direction on all activities. Possibly a senior center would work for your husband. He might be several years away from needing day care.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you! Over the last couple of days I've come to that conclusion. I think what really bothers me is how bored he is. I did try to take him to a senior center; perhaps I'll try that again now that there is more going on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more