Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Christmas 1972-2021

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
This is my fourth Christmas since DW  had any idea who I am. Forty nine years ago on Christmas I asked the most wonderful girl in the world if she would marry me. She looked horrified and then said yes. It was an amazingly wonderful ride together but a horrible disease has taken her away. I have the most wonderful memories. Sometimes I bore people with them since that is how I keep them alive. But she was the love of my life

Comments

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Love is a very wonderful thing and it does not stop! Peace to you Crushed! Never let go of your memories!
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Crushed, I am sorry for how you are feeling right now. Christmas is hard, particularly when there is a poignant memory associated with it. Peace to you this holiday season.
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Crushed, you have expressed so often about your wonderful life and how AD has taken this away. I think it is especially hard when this happened at such a young age. I am so happy  you have a supportive family, but does not make the loss any easier.
  • Comrade
    Comrade Member Posts: 52
    10 Comments First Anniversary

I too am losing DW after 35 years of marriage. It is an unimaginable pain. She grows more frail with appetite changes, her mobility is changing and DWs memories are sketchy.

I am so sorry for all of us and am trying to transition to becoming a compassionate caregiver first, while measuring how much emotion I can expend each day.

Both are not exclusive of each other, but they do have a difficult time co-existing. I look in to her eyes and know her fear, her needs and try to balance each day.

We are both afraid.

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 850
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Cherish those memories, Crushed.  They are precious. Sending hugs.

Brenda 

• DanM
    DanM Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Crushed, we are in the beginning stages of this terrible phase of our life. As with you, we have had a long, blessed and wonderful life together. Your posts have been critical to me as I try to plan for our future together. Thank you for taking the time to share your personal story.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more