Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Back from Tunisia

He was happy to return there, and clearly knew that he will stay longer than last time : as long as he enjoys to be there.

He was welcomed with a lot of joy and kisses from the caregivers. He has a very nice room, the same 2 caregivers than last time (one for the beginning of the week, the other for the end), they also wanted to be with him because he is very easy. They are both 24 years old.

I spent the 4 days having meals with them, also sharing with other residents and spouses who are either here for holidays either staying long term with their cared spouse. The later are very important because they see what happen, but I will also stay in touch with the others.

Yesterday evening, he just kissed me and was ok for my leave. In fact he prefers to stay there. 

Now I will contact him through the video and I will go again at the beginning of March. There is a cam in the room and I can see what happen there. Incredible, every evening, before going back home 3 or 4 caregivers come to kiss him. In fact they spend lot of time kissing their resident and the others. They like their job. 

I am back home.  It’s strange. I wonder when I will remove all the sheets of paper everywhere to remind him to do something or to identify each room. In fact it is not like a placement.

I am neither sad neither happy, just a little lost… 

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    The room, the private beach, my partner and his caregiver in the Medina
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So glad to hear from you French and glad you are home safely. The pictures are wonderful. Get some rest-and may 2022 be a peaceful year for you-
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Tunisia is beautiful. He is happy and in good care. Take care of yourself and heal.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That looks like a very nice place. Glad he's happy there, and glad you're doing okay too.
  • dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    This is probably about the best possible scenario for him.  And YOU!  Looks wonderful.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear French, You have accomplished a wonderful situation for him. Tunisia is a beautiful place and he feels safe there. I wish you peace as you start your life over. Please remember we are here for you. Thank you for sharing the pictures.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

French,

What a beautiful spot! I am happy for you (and him) that you are finally settled.  As time passes, you will find peace and though you may miss him, you will see that your decision was the best for both of you.  Best wishes. 

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Dear French, I have been thinking of you and hoping that the return to Tunisia would go well.  It appears it truly has. The pictures are appreciated; it is a beautiful place and the care aides sound very warm and caring. It is wonderful that you have ways of keeping in touch with your partner and also in monitoring his care. Best of all, he is happy, very comfortable and enjoys the life all of that gives to him.   All of those things are very comforting thoughts.

May this be a period of rest and recuperation for yourself; it has been a very long journey for you.  Let us know how you are doing and how things are going.  We will continue to think of you; so far away across the ocean, but close in experience and in heart.

J.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

So glad to hear how well it went.  Your partner clearly feels comfortable there, and you have been extraordinarily diligent to ensure he will be well looked after and that you can be in touch.  Likely yours will be the greater adjustment.

May the new year bring you peace and recovery.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Yes, I am glad you are back home safely.  I was concerned that Covid might affect your travel plans.
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

French, this is great, the place looks so nice, the caregivers sound wonderful and it sounds like your partner is very happy there. I can imagine you must feel strange to see his stuff through the house and to have mixed feelings about him in care, after all he was your partner in the good times. I think your feelings will adjust once you get more rest and start living your new life.  

Courage mon amie.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

The place looks nice clean and calm.  The people are loving and attentive.  He is happy and will be well cared for.  I hope you can rest and relax.  Good work!  Happy New Year!

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney