Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH seems better, not worse

When my DH was diagnosed with dementia, the Dr. said it was going to get worse.  My DH went through a long period where he confused me with his sister and was irritable.  All of a sudden, in the past few months, he seems more lucid and his mood is better.  This baffles me.  Has anyone experienced this?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Just a thought. Is it possible that he had a UTI or other infection that finally resolved itself? Many people don't realize that a UTI can cause all kinds of symptoms that might be mistaken as progression.
  • michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    My experience is similar and I cannot explain it. My DH went thru a couple of years of angry outbursts and was always accusing me of saying things I never said. It was a rough time. Then last winter he changed, becoming quite agreeable. Now instead of getting upset with me he gets hurt if I say something he doesn't like. At the same time I noticed his confusion getting worse. He gets confused with directions, doesn't recognize people he should and generally is forgetful. Another change is how suspicious he is of just about everything. And every thing is such a big deal . It is exhausting. I read once PWD go thru phases.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more