Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinations(7)

Does anybody have any experience with their LO's having hallucinations?  My DW has seen things occasionally over the past year but the frequency and her total belief in them has increased in the last few weeks.  It is now several times a day.  Usually people, in the house or the yard.   Sometimes animals in the yard or in the trees.   There is no militancy or fear just her belief that they are there.   

Is this the precursor to something else?

She is on a light dose of Seroquel, 2x25mg.  Other wise she is as most totally confused, does not recognize me or pictures of herself or her children.  She remains comparatively happy and cooperative.    Thanks, Rick

Comments

• Vitruvius
    Vitruvius Member Posts: 322
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

DW sees dogs and occasionally people everywhere. I’m not sure they are hallucinations as much as delusions. I think she is seeing every rock, tree stump, bush, shadow and amorphous blob as an animal or person. She is also untroubled by them, just curious. 

DW also doesn’t recognize me as her husband, but as one of her husband’s brothers (I don’t have any), or some other relative real or imagined. She is generally pleasant and calm about it all, and although she doesn’t recognize me she is comfortable with my presence. DW frequently asks me when her husband will be back, with some concern, but not agitation. 

As to whether this is a precursor to something I also wish I knew. 

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Michael shared a video that talks about this. It’s very educational.

Rick, I’m glad your wife is content. 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Almost every night my HWD hears people outside “banging and shouting.” He curses them and tells them to shut up. It goes on until he falls asleep, about a half hour. I do not treat him, just retreat to a quieter place.
  • Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes, yes!  I really noticed it more the last two weeks while I was on winter break and we would walk the dogs every day.  Just like Vitruvius said while outside mostly seeing a man or a woman doing something but not really upset just curious.  But there have been some hallucinations / delusions that have been very strong and upsetting him for quite some time.  The latest was he said he got a phone call from a man who said he was with his mother and was going to rape her.  He said he heard his mom in the background pleading with him to leave her alone.  Of course none of this happened but he was ready to change all her locks and put in a security system.  So if this is a sign of something more to come I'd like to know as well,
  • AlyJo
    AlyJo Member Posts: 19
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

My husband asks me about people yelling or animals he is seeing that are not there.  He gets concerned that I did not hear the yelling or that it was me yelling.

Is this a precursor to something? and what stage is this part of?  When it started a few months ago I thought he was dreaming but now it happens when he is up walking around, not just during sleep.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Anybody with dementia AND hallucinations should be evaluated for a specific type of dementia called Lewy Body Dementia.  If your LO has LBD, it's important that you know this because certain medications can be dangerous or even fatal.  My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and took cold medication (one of the dangerous medications) resulting in full blown delirium.  Later given haldol in the hospital and almost died.  Shortly after than, he was diagnosed with LBD in addition to Alzheimer's.  Both were confirmed in his autopsy.  If your spouse has LBD, there is a online forum for LBD spouses.  Check out   https://groups.io/g/LBDCaringSpouses

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Just to be clear, hallucinations are a marker for LBD.  Delusions occur in many types of dementia.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Thank you to all who contributed.  I was unaware hallucinations were a potential marker for LBD and shall check that with her neurologist.  Rick

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more