Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH with mild dementia, sleeps a lot

DH sleeps 3 hours in the afternoon, @ 9 pm his eyes are closing. If I mention that he sleeps a lot, he gets angry and verbally Abusive. He is unable to help me in simple chores around the house that he used to.

He doesn’t do much all day except go for one mile walk twice a day.

Is this normal? How do I tackle this?

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Hello Sunshine5!

My HWD, who is now somewhere between stages 5 and 6, started progressively sleeping more. He, too, becomes abusive at any hint that something is different for him. Pride? Fear? Anosognosia? Who knows. I don’t mention any deficits or changes to him to make it easier for both of us. He can now no longer follow a simple direction such as taking a fork to the table. I try to do tasks with him so he can have a sense of being helpful. Unfortunately one has to adjust one’s expectations because it only gets worse.

Try to remember that he is not doing this on purpose does not want to be in this situation either. It is a long journey we are on. 

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Some sleep because they are bored or depressed.  It’s hard to find activities for them that doesn’t stress them out.  You might try calling the doctor for an anti-depressant

I think you should stop worrying about it as long as he sleeps all night.  Use the time he is asleep ( and you aren’t) to get stuff done.  Just like you did when your children were small.  Read, take a bath. Watch a favorite show, do a craft, clean up. As he progresses, you are doing to need that ‘off-duty’ time to recharge. 

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    My DW can easily sleep 12-14 hours overnight, and also sleep at some point most daytimes too.  I have no doubt she is bored, as she is no longer able to do most of the things she used to enjoy.  

She does take an anti-depressant.

She is in late stage 6.  I think this is progression and can’t be solved for.  And it’s not really a problem.  I agree with Lynne it is probably better not to share your observations with him.
  • michiganpat
    michiganpat Member Posts: 140
    100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary
    My DH sleeps 11 to 12 hours a night , soaks in the tub for 2 hours (sleeping) most days, and then falls asleep watching tv. He is in late part of early alzheimers. He is getting tested for sleep apnea end of February. He says its because he gets up every 2 hours to go to the bathroom. He isn't very happy about Feb appointment but hasn't said he won't go. I doubt he would use a sleep machine but my reason for his being tested is I want to know if it is due to alzheimer or sleep apnea. I use his soaking time to read. When he is up he talks constantly, usually repeating things, so it is my relaxation time.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Ditto to what Lynn said. Sounds normal, in my experience with my DH with Alzheimer’s. He can’t do much at all around the house, unless I walk him through it, which irritates him most of the time. 

His doctor checked on any medical reason for sleeping so much, and found nothing. I learned here it’s pretty common. I look at it as a quiet time, or break, for me. At least he’s not doing something that creates problems. There’s no point in talking to him about it, he just gets angry or upset, and reminding him of his losses can not change anything.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

My husband, diagnosed with AD in 2015, sleeps a lot too. He spends his days on the couch but those days don’t even start until at least noon. It used to bother me until I learned it’s fairly common as the disease worsens. My husband is subject to outbursts, rages, and meltdowns too. New meds help but after a few months, the antipsychotic has been increased. I admit that as long as he’s well-nourished and clean, my husband can sleep when he likes. It’s my mini-vacation.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Sleeping is good. Their brains are tired and need time to recover. Also they may be dreaming and so providing their own entertainment. Enjoy the free time to do something for yourself.

• sunshine5
    sunshine5 Member Posts: 148
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments

Thanks to all who replied to my post - DH sleeps a lot. How do u know what stage AD is he, if it’s getting worse and is there anything that can be done to stop the progression of the disease? Neurologist appointment not till March.

I am not sure cognitive vitamins and coconut and mct oil are helping any more. Exelon patch helps. I have made a mixture of aromatherapy oils for him and encourage him to listen to music and read that he is not too fond of!

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Sunshine,

Stages become unimportant. No dementia patient ever has all the symptoms in one stage. They may have some stage 4 with a lot of stage 5 and one in stage 6. You become proficient in dealing with the symptoms they present. The problem is that they can bounce between symptoms in any given week. Just when you think things are under control they change. My husband still likes to fold laundry. He just came out and told me he can’t tell what clothes are mine and which are his. Last week he knew. He can no longer make a sandwich but last week he could. Who knows what next week will bring. Last month he refused to take showers without a big fight but this week he takes one when I suggest it. He still won’t put on clean clothes unless I can sneak them out when  he is in the shower. The changes make the caregiving much more stressful. When he wakes up in the morning it is always a guessing game as to how the day will go.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more