Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New in Town

Hi all.  Wendy here.  Wish we could meet in person, I like that so much better.  I am a caregiver to my husband of 26 years,  His alz showed up about 5 years ago but was hard to definitively diagnose because he was drinking heavily at the time.

Mainly just want to know that I'm not alone in the feelings I have and to have someone to talk to that understands.

Comments

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Wendy, you’ve come to the right place. You are not alone on this journey. We are here to support and inform each other. These boards can be a lifeline. We try to understand what is happening, how to deal with the multitude of problems on so many levels, and even laugh sometimes. It is a no judgment zone, meaning you are entitled to your feelings. You will not be hurt or criticized. We get enough of that at home. I check in almost every day now, as my husband’s condition worsens and the challenges increase. Welcome!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Wendy, and welcome. This is a good forum, with members who have been there, done that. And they are happy to help whenever possible, and offer support. You will find understanding here that is very hard to come by.

One benefit about an online forum is that you can, and probably will ask questions that you wouldn't ask if you were face to face with someone. Just about nothing is thought of as off base, so we talk about incontinence, sex, families, and just about anything else. If you stick around, I think you will be happy you did.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Welcome to the forum Wendy.

My 58 year old DH has early onset Alzheimer's disease (EOAD). It was diagnosed in February 2019, but symptoms were noticeable in 2016. Similar to what you mentioned, DH was difficult to diagnose because he was drinking heavily at the time.

By the grace of God, DH has not had a drink in quite a while. Alas, the Alzheimer's disease progresses. DH is now leaning into Stage 7.

As the other posters stated, this is a supportive and informative forum. I have learned more here than I have from the multiple members of our healthcare team. The caregiver heroes here have been life savers to me. They have virtually held my hand and lifted me up when I didn't think I could take another minute of this crazy dementia life. They have educated me. 

I feel more connected and less isolated when I participate in the forum. Welcome!

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 453
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

Welcome, Wendy.

My husband is also a heavy drinker, which does complicate things. It's unclear from your post if your LO continues to drink.

Diagnosis can be tricky, For a long time I thought maybe the two of us were simply having a breakdown in communication. Hmm, I thought I told you that...hmm, I don't remember you telling me, etc.  

I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope you find this forum as helpful as I do

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more