Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH Sleeps all day long

At what stage does someone begin to sleep most of the day. My DH  has started hallucinating  and sleeping the majority of the day. He still talks, but keeps asking me when we are going home? We are home!

Comments

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Hello Vmargetts,  You don't provide much context.  In the very late stages I've read lots of sleep is common.   My DW started sleeping a lot about 2 years after diagnosis.  It lasted for several months then slowly returned to a more normal schedule.  Now, at the 5-6 year point I would welcome any pause in her constant activity.   
    Take advantage of this time to get your affairs and routines in order: legal appointments, banking, credit cards, mail collection habits, telephone limits, etc.   If you are early in the journey, you should read here a lot to give you some idea of what may be coming.  Every case is different but there are also many similarities.  Good luck, Rick
    1934 Member Posts: 8
    First Comment First Anniversary
    My DW has started to go to sleep about 6pm (I think it may have something to do with Sundowners) and usually sleeps until about 9:30am. She also sleeps in her chair off and on. She was diagnosed about 4 years ago. I would consider her Stage 6.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

Sleeping a lot is very common the mid and later stages (assuming docs have ruled out medical issues such as infections or other illness).  As said, take advantage of the break for you to get some rest or get things done. At least he’s not causing a problem.

As for the “want to go home,” you usually can’t convince them they *are* home. You have to come up with some fibs that delay/distract, such as “we’ll  go when the rain/snow stops” or “we’ll go in a little bit” or “the roads are blocked, we’ll go later,” “the roads are closed tonight, maybe we can go tomorrow,”  or “we’ll go when I finish….” Etc etc. Then try to distract them with a treat or activity.

Usually they’ll forget whatever excuse you used pretty quickly, and you can say the same thing the next day, but it can get you over that “hump” of dealing with the question at the moment.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I wish. 

(My immediate thought on reading the title of this thread: “DH Sleeps all day long”)

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more