Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clothes constantly being taken out of closets

My wife has recently started taking out all her clothes from closets and drawers and laying them out on the bed, hanging them on door handles, and so on. It's like she has to see everything all the time rather than being hidden away. Has anybody else experienced similar behavior? Any suggestions as to how to change it, tactfully?

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Hi Ray,

My DH started doing this in an earlier stage maybe 5 or 6. I was told or read somewhere that it was extra energy that needed to be spent. After many times of me hanging all the clothes back up I tried the "kid proof" lock Nope, not for me I couldn't open it....so my caregiver suggested shoelaces tied normally. He never even attempted to untie. Of course this only works with double closet doors.

Good Luck,

Michele

• Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

My DW has done this for a year or more.  It has gotten much simpler now.  I removed and gave away the vast majority of her clothes.  She now has maybe 8 or 10 items in a very large closet.  They are all things that it is possible for her to wear.  Velcro fasteners, large buttons, pull overs or elastic waist item I can put on her.  As her previous wardrobe disappeared over the course of several weeks, she never noticed the missing items.  The same goes for the majority of her clothes.  If its not practical for her to wear, it's gone!   

We are great customers for Buck & Buck, as well as, "pajama jeans" from Amazon.  Easy on and off and wash and dry, no ironing or dry cleaning.   Rick

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have no idea how to stop it but I do suggest reducing the amount of clothing so that there is not as much to put back.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My mom with dementia did this at her facility for years, we greatly reduced her wardrobe, and that activity eventually stopped. I thought at first she needed to see it to remember it, but that was wrong. She wouldn’t recognize things when she saw them, and didn’t really “understand” that she was doing it.

My DH with Alzheimer’s takes shirts on hangers and moves them (still on hangers) them all over the bedroom and master bath. He also spreads his t-shirts and underwear around, and quite regularly just goes through any and all drawers and lays out the contents. He also cannot offer any explanation (I stopped asking long ago) and seemed to not realize he did it.

As others, I drastically reduced his wardrobe. I thought he’d miss something or notice the extra space. No, he did not notice anything (as long as he does not see me getting rid of it). He still moves his clothes, but now there’s much less to move. At least it all stays in one room.

I tried locking the closet door (it’s a big walk-in for both of us) but it caused him anger and agitation that was worse than moving clothes. And a hassle for me.

I honestly don’t think you can “change” that behavior, nor make them “realize” what they’re doing. (Maybe somebody has done so). But you can make it easier to deal with.

• harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,359
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    There was a gentleman in mom's support group whose DW did this.

They had lived in a smallish IL cottage in a CCRC, so the stuff was everywhere and made him nuts. He asked her fashionista granddaughter to come and curate a couple capsule wardrobes while he took her out for the afternoon. His wife had been known for her fashion sense and he struggled to put together outfits he felt supported that reputation. The granddaughter put together 8 outfits that could be mixed and matched with pjs, undies and accessories in the closet for the week and then put the rest in totes in their storage space. Housekeeping collected their laundry and the husband pulled out a new tote for the upcoming week and put the returned laundered garments in the storage area. 

Because beloved granddaughter sold this as a Project Runway/Tim Gunn idea it was accepted. I suspect if DH had done it, she would have carried on about it.
  • RandiM
    RandiM Member Posts: 4
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    My husband does this too!  I also reduced clothes that he doesn’t like or fit anymore.  He also likes to change me shirts mid day.  The most frustrating thing is he pulls clothes out of hamper.  I tried stick on child proof latch but he pulled it off.  So I just let him do it and put away clothes later.  I think it is a security thing for him.
  • RandiM
    My husband dies this too.  I tried to understand and stop it but just got frustrated so I just let him go and out away clothes later.  I did clear out his closet of clothes that no longer fit or he no longer likes so that has reduced the volume.  The more frustrating thing is he pulls clothes out of dirty hamper.  Tried stick on childproof latch but he just pulled it off!
  • RandiM
    Looks like I replied twice!  First post got hung up so didn’t think it went through!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more