Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Does this sound like bowel incontinence

I'm a lurker who gets a lot of information from other's  posts.  But I hope to get some opinions on my concern.  

My DH is immobile and uses a bedside toilet and sit to stand device.  He has always known when he has to go.  He's had some moments when he thought he had to go, but didn't, just passed gas.  He knows when he has to pee fifty percent of the time so that we can use the urinal. 

Last night, another moment happened when he didn't have to go.  I put him in bed and later he was restless.  He said he had to fart, but instead he pooped.  After cleaning him, he had four more incidents.  Finally falling asleep early this morning.  He hasn't had any more incidents since 5 this morning.  It wasn't really diarrhea, just loose. 

The doctor said it sounded like a one time incident, not incontinence.  But I thought I'd ask those who have or are going through this.  He was taking Voltaren pills which can cause GI issues.  I've stopped the pills per doctor's okay.  

So do you think it is incontinence or just one time like his doctor believes?  

Thanks!

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    So far, it has only happened once.  I think I'd cross my fingers and hope.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I can't respond to your question, but Voltaren does come in a gel form, if the oral form is causing gastrointestinal upset.  So if the pain is in the knees Voltaren gel can be applied to the knees.  

Iris

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Lots of times people find that a new behavior doesn't just appear--it shows up rarely and then more frequently. It sounds to me like that may be what's happening--your dh may have rare instances like this that gradually get more frequent. I wouldn't make big changes yet, but I would plan and gather supplies.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Judi, I am sorry this is happening and can understand your concern.  It was good that you spoke with the doctor; that is always the best thing to do.  We can give our opinions based on experience, but it is always best to err on the side of caution which you have done.

The suggestion to lay in supplies for a, "just in case," sort of preparation is sound advice. This incident does not sound like the usual incontinence dynamic.   He may possibly have had a GI upset related to certain foods he ate, or medication or other cause.

By the way; not only the oral form of Voltaren can cause GI issues; the gel form of Voltaren is absorbed into the body and if you check the valid medical input on Mr. Google, you will find that the gel can also cause GI upsets including diarrhea, as well as GI bleeds, so best to follow the doctor's advice as given.

It would be a good idea to use extra padding protection on the bed while you are figuring out just what is happening.  If it does not occur again, that would be great; but if it does begin to become an ongoing problem issue, then having the bed protected as well as having supplies on hand will be very helpful.    Some carers have their Loved Ones (LOs) use incontinence briefs in order to safeguard incidents; you will soon know whether or not this would be a helpful necessity for your husband.

I am so glad you dropped in to discuss this challenge.  We are all here in support of one another, and that now includes you too.  Let us know how you are doing, we will be thinking of you.

J.
  • Judi57
    Judi57 Member Posts: 61
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you everyone for responses.  I've had all the proper supplies ready for the past year, never knowing what is going to happen next.  Time will tell what is happening.  Just hate living a life on pins and needles, always waiting for the next shoe to drop.  Jo, thanks for your very kind response. In times of worry, it's always nice to feel included.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more