Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Contact lenses

My husband hasn’t worn contacts in 40 years. He has used eye drops twice a day for 40 years. He can’t remember that he uses eye drops but he is digging at his eyes because he thinks he has “pieces” of plastic in them. I hate this disease! It is horrible to see someone who was so competent be unable to understand anything.

Comments

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Why does he use drops? Does he have dry eyes? I have 'chronic dry eyes' and if I don't use drops my eyes hurt and it feels like I have something sharp in my eye, like a grain of sand or a hard contact that slid out of place. Maybe make sure he's using his drops.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

He has glaucoma. When he was diagnosed 40 years ago he switched from contacts to glasses. I try to get them in as scheduled but honestly he won’t be alive long enough to suffer from any visual damage that might occur. He already can’t see things on the counter but it is because of the dementia not the glaucoma.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My husband suffers from glaucoma and I put his drops in every night before bed. He used to do it himself, he can’t do that anymore. I also take care of his medications and the rest. He is getting cataract surgery at the end of January.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more