Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Are you willing to help me test this theory out?

If yes please add your comments here below and explain what and how you did it and the results you saw?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's interesting, Michael. We don't have any intense lighting in the living room, and that's where we are before going to bed. My wife started going to bed early (around 7 or 8 o'clock), but I'm not sure if it was at time change or not. I'll be interested in what others have to say.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Don't forget to factor in the shorter days.
  • Tfreedz
    Tfreedz Member Posts: 138
    100 Comments First Anniversary

Never did any testing but....my mom (has FTD) loves dim lighting and goes to bed around 7, she also doesn’t like being out in the sun, this was before dementia as well. I can’t get enough sun and want every light on in the house all the time, I also am a night owl, lol. I suppose I could try dimming lights and see if it has an effect on me, but I love being up late when the household is asleep. Darkness reminds me of my childhood when there was never enough light so I choose bright lighting as much as possible. Hubby used to work 3-11pm shift, he said he would laugh when pulling into our neighborhood because our house was so lit up with all the lights on in every room.

Have you tried melatonin to get your body back into a natural sleep cycle, maybe it is off due to time and location change.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

Thanks, as the first article was very good. While I believe my issues are different it does reinforce that I am on to something that needs to be further investigated. In my case I am getting more sun then ever. I also need to do it at night. But this shows me that there is something that needs to be tested by others.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

From what you wrote it sounds like you are more aware of the darkness outside. Dick seemed to have "sundowning" onece when he was in the hospital. I closed the blinds...it worked.

Absorbing the sun light?  Not sure you can do that from inside.

https://www.alzinfo.org/pym/feature/improving-sleep-and-sundowning-with-sunlight/

note to ED...I remembered how to do the link...lol

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I realize I am late to this party.  I have been having a LOT of trouble with my sleep, but it is the opposite.  I don't fall asleep until about 6 am, even though I go to bed and stare at the ceiling for hours.  I get up at 1 or 2 pm, when the day is almost over.  I do have a light box, I'll have to look for it.

Michael, I hope you have found a solution for your sleep problem.  I believe disordered sleep is responsible for a lot of dementia behaviors.  

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney