Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memories with no one to share them with

I was feeling sorry for myself because I was thinking of everything we had done in our life and my husband remembers none of it. I can tell others about my memories but there is no one to share them with. Then I realized that every divorced person goes thru this and I never thought of it before.

Comments

• jordansfca
    jordansfca Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Perhaps you can start a journal to record your memories.  That way you will have them to look back on.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Understand.

Lost a BIL through divorce that I very much considered part of my family.  I felt so bad for him.  Told a coworker I feel like someone died, but he didn’t and nothing I could do.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Being divorced, I can say that that's an accurate and striking analogy Gig.  I hadn't thought about it that way before, but you're exactly right.  This is the second spouse I've lost.  Both are very, very difficult experiences.  In our case, the divorce was not amicable, and I had to go to court three times over child support.  So there was no taking joint pride in our two wonderful kids, which is very, very sad.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am sorry for your heartbreak and understand.  There is a deeply felt loneliness even with our LO next to us.  That is a good point that you made; I had never thought of that before.

. . . what I finally came to realize, was that I was blessed with the memories; some people have not had the parts of life that we shared, and I am deeply thankful for the memories of the shared special things and times. There is some sadness, but all in all, I am able to feel gratefulness for a life that had such beautful and memorable times and would give so much to be able to revisit those times once again.  Oh; to have a time machine . . . .

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,762
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Interesting analogy...
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I have always enjoyed telling stories and have regaled DW and others with them for years.  Now, I can tell her stories about things that happened to us.  Some of them are true
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Memories are still your memories. If you have children you can share some of those with them. Others you hold very close to your heart, like a deck of cards, pulling them out one by one and enjoying. They will give your heart a little peace, reminding you life was not always being caregiver. Even with divorce, may have ended badly, but it didn’t start out that way. I say that because my first marriage ended terribly but it didn’t start that way.
  • LizG55
    LizG55 Member Posts: 151
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Gig Harbor wrote:
    I was feeling sorry for myself because I was thinking of everything we had done in our life and my husband remembers none of it. I can tell others about my memories but there is no one to share them with. Then I realized that every divorced person goes thru this and I never thought of it before.
    I don't really see it like divorce. I have no children or extended family anymore.  I have no one to "experience" the memories with.  He doesn't remember and my family has passed so there is no one but me.  Sometimes it upsets me but then I realize I hold the memories and that will just have to be enough,,, though, it is a lonely place to be. no friend can fill that  gap I already went through this when my father died too.  Sorry for the pain you're feeling. I get it. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more