Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He wet himself for the first time

Late yesterday afternoon while I was upstairs washing my face, I heard DH slowly coming up the stairs.  I thought he was coming up to "check on me" like he usually does.  Instead, he came in and said he had had an accident.  He had wet himself and was upset.  He said he didn't even know he had to go and he suddenly felt wet.  He was also having trouble standing...his legs were like rubber bands and he almost fell.  I got him sitting down and helped him take off his wet clothes and wash off.  After getting him into some dry things, he tried to stand up again and nearly fell.  He was also sweating but it was a cold sweat.  I got him back downstairs by having him sit down and slide down the stairs on his bottom.  After reaching the first floor, he was unable to stand up even with the help of his walking stick, cane, and a walker.  He had to crawl over to the sofa and pull himself up and nearly fell while trying to sit down.  He ended up lying down.  He wanted to go to his recliner but the seat was damp.  Again he started sweating...cold sweat. He was also confused.  It was supper time but all he wanted was ice cream.  I gave him a bowl of ice cream and a glass of Ensure high protein.  After dinner, he was better and had forgotten about what had happened earlier.  But I didn't forget.  My mind keeps trying to figure things out.  Is this the way incontinence begins or did he have some kind of a mild stroke or something?  And how do I clean his recliner?  At times like this, I feel so alone.  And I keep crying this morning.

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Maybe have him checked for a UTI, or other illness. No, this is not the way incontinence normally begins. Sorry you are dealing with this.
  • arizonadianne
    arizonadianne Member Posts: 28
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    This is a surprise. I agree with BethL, maybe it’s an illness that caused incontinence when he didn’t even know he had to go. Combined with leg weakness, which was a surprise too. It’s worth exploring new symptoms just in case they are outside of AD. I’m so glad he was safe on the stairs. I hope today brings some peace for you.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    He seems okay this morning.  And the bed wasn't wet so he got through the night okay.  I'm not sure what to do.  I will certainly have him checked for a UTI if he seems more confused today.
  • DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Stroke?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Brenda, if you have him checked for a UTI, please ask them to do a culture on it. That is always the best bet.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear White Crane.

I can appreciate how unsettling this must be for you. I am not a medical professional. I suspect it may be some infection or illness.

In May, my DH had a fever which quickly created increased confusion and weakness in his limbs. When the fever passed, DH was back to his baseline. He regained his mobility.

Having said all that, in the last 7-10 days, my DH is more confused than before. He has gotten "lost" in our house several times. He is unsteady. He is shuffling his feet. He requires hands on assistance when he walks, stands, sits. He is having accidents as often as he is having successful bathroom visits. I think that is a function of statistics and oversight because I frequently prompt him to go to the bathroom. Since my DH has progressively declined over several days, I don't suspect an infection. Your post is an excellent reminder for me to check his temperature. 

If you haven't already done so, protect the furniture now. I usually use the waterproof furniture covers marketed to protect furniture from pets. Additionally, I have the 6 sided zip-up waterproof protectors on the mattresses. I do a modified sheet layering on the bed, incorporating waterproof crib pads under the fitted sheets. Google how to clean the recliner. Maybe check the manufacturer's recommendations.

I am sorry this is happening to you and your loved one.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Might he have been dehydrated?  My DH had a similar episode one day on the beach. He didn’t wet himself, but everything else was the same.  We draped him in wet towels, gave him lots of water and helped him off the beach.  He was fine after that incident. 

Can you tell if DH had lost consciousness at all before he found you?  Sometimes, when a person “passes out” they lose bladder control; they may “come to” after just a few seconds and be able to function close to normal.  Just a thought.

• White Crane

I am keeping a very close watch on him today.  He seems back to baseline like I said earlier.  He could have been dehydrated or maybe something else is going on.  If he has to have a urine test, I will be sure to have them culture it like Ed said.  Also, I ordered a 6 sided mattress cover like Lady T. suggested.  Thanks everyone.

Brenda

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

I am so sorry this happened; it must have been deeply frightening for both of you.

From an outside viewpoint, when one has seen strokes in medical situations, this sounds as though there may possibly indeed have been a stroke.  It is not the usual "sound" of a UTI even if he may have one . . .

If an abrupt change in sensorium and/or functional abilities happen again, I personally would find it a medical emergency and get to the ER as quickly as safely possible which may even mean an ambulance transport if necessary.   You may want to have him seen by his physician now, and if a CT is ordered, if your LO can tolerate it, I would approve of it.  Why?  Because your DH is not in an end stage disease.  If he has had a significant TIA; then his medical treatment will be adjusted to fit his needs and that would also be from a prevention standpoint. 

One would want to avoid a full stroke when at all possible.  People do not often die outright from a stroke, but can be left paralyzed in a part of the body; and/or with the inability to speak despite being aware.  Far best to avoid the worst case scenarios if possible.  We would want nothing less for ourselves. 

Do you have a stair lift on your stairwell?  If so; is he able to use it independently?  If not, will it be possible for him to have a downstairs bedroom and bath?  It seems the stairs may have become a new "danger" area for him.

Let us know how things are going, and so hope you are able to have him seen by his doctor.

J.

• Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

White Crane, I’m really sorry that you’re experiencing all this. You could have been describing my husband as well as your own. He wets himself several times a week now and can hardly get out of bed or off the couch by himself. He has fallen quite a few times and has teetered more than I can count. 

If you rule out all the other possible causes for the accident and you are left with cognitive and physical decline, be sure you protect your bed and furniture with special pads and covers. You can also put incontinence pads in his underwear. I use as many protector pads as possible around the house and I’ve saved a great deal of time and work.

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary

It is alarming. The sudden changes are the red flag. It could likely have been a mild stroke which can lead to bigger ones down the road.

The other possibility is seizure. There are different types and not always obvious, but can cause urinating oneself and confusion.

What you have described seems to be definitely a medical emergency.

• White Crane
    Jo, thank you for your input.  Thank you all for your input.  I just made an appointment for  DH to see his PCP on Wednesday.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    That really had to have been a very frightening ordeal for you and your husband. Prayers for both of you on doctors appointment Wednesday.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

So glad you were able to get an appointment; may the doctor be able to help set things in place depending on what is found.  Let us know how you are and how things are going.

J.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    My husband has had no issues but this is a wake up call for me to have a supply of depends and pads for when this happens. I think I will make up an emergency box to also include wipes and furniture/bed protectors. I had a mattress protector on the bed and he said it made him feel sweaty but I think I will try it again.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more