Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hydration

Need advice on getting her to drink

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    We can’t help without further information.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Not sure what your situation is, but things that I did for my DH when he was still at home was to make sure his water was cold, give him drinks he liked such as flavored vitamin water, diluted juice, etc. You LO may like jello, popsicles, soup, watermelon, etc. Those all contain a lot of water.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,314
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

Hydration is super important.  When Charles went into his final weeks the hospital personnel told me he was really dehydrated.  I had no idea - I thought he was getting plenty of fluids.  You're doing a good by knowing he isn't drinking enough.  Guess I'm not the right person to tell  you what to do - just do whatever you can to get any kind of liquid down him - even a swallow at a time.  Marie had good ideas.  If he likes coffee, that would help - maybe cappuccino or hot chocolate during the cold weather - anything at all.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    If someone doesn't want to drink, sometimes high-moisture foods can help, like Jell-O, ice cream, watermelon, etc. However, if they are at the end of life their body is shutting down and additional fluids are not really helpful.
  • Fairyland
    Fairyland Member Posts: 178
    100 Comments First Anniversary

These are meant to be good and will launch in USA apparently soon.

https://www.jellydrops.com/

• storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I've read the caffeine in coffee is a mild diuretic. Some people are more sensitive and it causes diarrhea. (I love coffee, but unfortunately I'm one of the latter.)

Some ideas:

My mother filled a large container with water each morning to finish by the end of the day. For a while it also helped to put marks on the container for every 8 ozs. and encouraged drinking down to the next mark.

With my dad who lived alone, after mom died, at first then with caregivers and frequent visits, etc., we tried filling some individual cups with water set on the kitchen counter, to be drunk by suppertime; then adapted to "drink three by noon; three by dinner." We also placed cups around the apartment where he tended to sit or lie down most often so they'd be convenient for him; got him more spillproof containers to drink from/he was unable to use straws, but straws can sometimes help.

Frequent reminders if the person is receptive. Invite/cajole them to drink when you drink and do it together. We would call him by dropping in on an Echo Show we set up beside his chair, when he could no longer handle a phone or call easily; he could see our faces and we'd drink water/whatever together. Ask other family members who live at a distance to call and encourage/remind the person to get a drink right then and there.

Use of flavor enhancers sometimes helps. There are many options available in the grocery stores, some with electrolytes which can also support chemical balance.

Different things work for different people. At one point my father chose to stop drinking and eating altogether. Hospice provided good comfort care.

Best wishes and good luck....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney