Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

For my birthday, I dreamt 3 good looking firefighters showed up to dazzle me on my 57th birthday...

In real life, the firefighters came to our home for a lift assist because DH fell. 

The icing on the cake was dog diarrhea on the floor. Mix in a cranky husband who does not realize it's my birthday. My birthdays are special in a different way now.

Its not quite the festivities of years past, but it is still good. I still have much to be grateful for: 

• Especially this forum. You all are heroes. You have taught me skills and tips and tricks to make the journey easier. I am grateful for you all. I could not do what I do without you and your support.
  • I am also grateful that our community has a medical equipment lending program. I was able to reserve a transport chair which I can pick up tomorrow.
  • I am grateful that I live in an area that has a fire department that can come when called for a lift assist.
  • I am grateful that we have a safe and warm home.
Best wishes to all for a wonderful day. 

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,674
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday LT.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy birthday Lady T. I hope you have a great day and many blessings!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Woooo-Hoooooo! Happy Birthday!! Online PARTY!!!

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Happy birthday and many more, Lady Texan!  You're awesome!
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Happy Birthday to you! My favorite Texan! 

I hope Hap is feeling better now. Hank was also “not well” this morning. That was a Big Surprise. 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday Dear LT-

And despite the reason, it does seem like you had 3 knights in shining armor drop in just to make your day better!  I hope this year will be full of more positives than negatives, despite the challenging journey we are on. Wishing many peaceful moments for you. 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Happy Birthday, Lady T!!
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday, Lady T!!  Praying for God’s best blessings for you.
  • Rosi's Mom
    Rosi's Mom Member Posts: 11
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Lady T,  Happy Birthday! Love the title! You have a great attitude.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Happy Birthday.  It’s a good thing we no longer expect moonlight and roses on our birthdays or we’d be even more disappointed.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Some people will just do anything to get those firefighters there.  Happy birthday LT.  May 57-58 bring you all good things.
  • Chammer
    Chammer Member Posts: 140
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Happy Birthday!  If I had your address I would send you a fire rescue dogs calendar - adorable pups each month being held safely in the arms of very able looking firemen.  It makes me feel safe! 
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thank you for the well wishes everyone. God bless you all and your loved ones too.
  • Pat6177
    Pat6177 Member Posts: 442
    100 Likes Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Happy Birthday LT! I saw a banner with the word Gratitude on it and bought it and hung it on the wall. Gratitude doesn’t always come easily to me. Thank you for the inspiration  

May your upcoming year be filled with peace and serenity. 

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy bday LT

I have a firemen story for you. Years ago in our first house together, my husband called the fire department because he thought he smelled gas. I slept through the whole thing and missed all these hunky firemen walking through our house. I pressed my husband for details about what the firemen looked like. My husband, who had been a fireman when he was younger, proceeded to describe their gear, helmets etc. I decided to quit while I was ahead.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Belated Happy Birthday LT!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

The day ended with an especially messy bm accident. 

Once DH and everything else was clean again, I was whining via text to my gal pal about how grumpy DH was. It didn't take me long to realize that I would be grumpy too if I had a terminal illness and pooped in my britches and was reliant on my spouse to clean me up. 

Everyone is just screwed by Alzheimers. There are no winners. Some days just suck less than others. 

AND then this morning DH fell out of bed. Again I was unable to get him up and called for another lift assist. Later today I will call for a hospice evaluation. 

this disease sucks. thank you for listening.

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    LadyTexan wrote:

Everyone is just screwed by Alzheimers. There are no winners. Some days just suck less than others. 

Amen to that!!  Happy(?) Birthday, LT!

Btw, do you have those firefighters on speed dial?

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,404
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Buggsroo -  your firefighters let you sleep in the house while they were investigating a reported gas leak?  That’s a little concerning to me. Maybe I’m a little over worried about gas leaks?

LT.  It’s been a long several months for you and your spouse. He seem to be declining quickly.  Please take care of yourself.  You need to be healthy to get through this 

I don’t have dementia, just my injury.  It’s the most physically restricted I’ve been in my adult life. It’s very frustrating, embarrassing, and depressing to have  my spouse have to take care of me pretty much every minute of the day.  Waiting until he’s able to do any small task is hard.  So I’ve gained a different understanding of being the patient.  I pray that our loved ones with dementia lose those feelings.  Conversely, I’ve seen just how hard being a caregiver is on my husband.  I already know I will be lobbying for assisted living if I ever need permanent help. Im getting better and should be back to normal in a couple months. 

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 173
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Happy Birthday, Lady Texan!

The three firefighters were a nice diversion. 

The things that give us pause to think about, are nice when they come into our lives. 

Nancy

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney