Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home Health Care(2)

I am at the stage where I believe I need help here at home.  I have read this was a good first step prior to having DH admitted to MC. I just can't watch his every move during the day and all night when he roams and gets into things. My question is how to select the best nursing organization for this. I am awaiting input from his PCP and while I wait, I have been reading every website for home health care. I am exhausted. I know there can be a big difference in care and just looking at reviews can be iffy. Many of these website want to do an in-home assessment before giving me a per hour cost. I know with Covid raging, I really don't want people in our home unless I know it is safe.  Suggestions during these challenging times?

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Kenzie. This is a good thread for you. https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=posts&t=2147552810  
  • Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Thank you, Ed. DH is on a waitlist for MC, so I decided to call them for advice. It turns out that they have a Home Care Operations Department. (I live in Virginia) I was able to schedule him for someone to come to the house 4 hours twice per week to help DH and in addition to this, an exercise physiologist will come out on 2 different days for an hour. I was so worried he wouldn't want someone coming to the house, but he is OK with it, so it seems.  A nurse will come today to do an assessment.  I think this is coming just in time - I am up all night and I have to watch him constantly during the day. Yesterday, he found a bottle of pills and I caught him dumping them in his mouth (I did get them all out of his mouth in time)...so all meds and harmful products got moved to the garage cabinet...locked! It will be nice to run errands alone or just go to the guest room to take a nap twice a week. It's funny, things that I have been avoiding doing for fear he will have a negative reaction, actually turned out better than I thought.  Then again, some things that are not on my radar have been met with opposition. Every day is different.  I do feel that now that he doesn't know me and thinks that I am a helper, it has been easier to make some simple changes, like moving to the guest room at night. He seems to miss the dogs at night more than me and comes looking for them (but they prefer sleeping with mommy). LOL

Thanks for your input!

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Kenzie, would you feel comfortable sharing the general location of the MC or even the name of the facility?  My dad is the one with dementia and this type of information would help tremendously since he is also in Virginia.

Thanks

• Kenzie56
    Kenzie56 Member Posts: 130
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Care Reactions

Loveskitties, the facility near us is Poet's Walk, Fredericksburg (a Springhills Community).  Here is a link:

https://www.springhills.com/our-communities/

In Virginia these are the sites:

Poet’s Walk Fredericksburg

Poet’s Walk Leesburg

Poet’s Walk Warrenton

Spring Hills Home Care, Alexandria

Spring Hills, Mt. Vernon

I hope this helps you. They were so quick to respond. A nurse came yesterday to do an assessment and the aid starts Tuesday and exercise physiologist starts Wednesday. They use a team approach and have been wonderful so far. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more