Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hallucinating again

This is a daily occurrence but on steroids today.

DH just looked up and laughed out loud. I asked (of course ). He pointed to the open bedroom door and said those guys just drove the red car down that way. “The car, I asked?”. He said “yeah”. Then, he asked me to confirm what he saw on the other side of the room. “Those are trees down there right?” (Absolutely nothing in that corner. Nada). I said “yeah”.

As long as it isn’t a person or animal that might hurt or alarm him, who am I to disagree? Just keeping the peace. And he clearly does see things. If a person, I tell him my truth which is I didn’t see them, or even that I showed them out and locked the door myself—confirming they are gone. (Edit: this is because his first hallucinations 2 years or so ago, led to beliefs of intruders and arming himself to protect us from the interlopers at night . That led us to Seroquel and minimizing the scary, dangerous hallucinations and delusions.) 

This morning DH also “heard” someone calling his name (or mine he said when I repeated his comment just to check, as I often do).  That’s a first I think. No radio or TV on in the house, so I decided he must be having an audio hallucination. In that case I said, no, I didn't hear it. But I didn’t challenge his reality.

And do any of you remember looking at clouds when you were a child, envisioning and imagining that the shapes formed animals and other interesting things? (Especially when I squinted!) Well DH has started showing me the faces he sees in various foods at each meal. I don’t see it and for now he accepts my assurance that it’s sauce or skin or just his “great, creative imagination”— but he pulls the piece of whatever off to the side before finishing the rest. That must be really disconcerting. Or maybe not! I’m just being as matter of fact about everything as possible and it seems to help. For now.

It is getting interesting, and we just increased his antipsychotic 90 days or so ago so I hesitate to bump it up again for non-disturbing hallucinations since as I said, this isn’t completely new...just increased today at least.  For now, we will maintain the meds at this level and see what happens since he isn’t distressed about what he’s reporting. (Nor am I, though it is a little disconcerting each time still — just observing as always, taking mental notes, and being amazed at dementia. So unpredictable.)

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,717
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Something new every day isn't it?  Fingers crossed it stays relatively calm for you.....
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks M1. All well-wishes appreciated. Yes, never a dull moment!

He is rambling about “not swimming back over there” right now. And asked if the chickens were in my pocket (??)  I have no clue. In the past, when his hallucinations ramped up, so did his agitation and anger, and it was usually the start of a UTI. He’s as calm as can be, so I hope it’s just a temporary glitch and we will wake up back at baseline, at least. 

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Hoping you both get a good nights sleep and he does wake up tomorrow back to baseline! Best wishes for you both!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more