Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Posterior Cortical Atrophy

My husband was diagnosed in 2017 at age 60 with Alzheimer's. He since has been diagnosed with posterior Cortical Atrophy. This is a form of Alzheimer's that isn't common at all. When I mention this to anyone no one seems to have heard of it. This makes it very hard for me to get support. His vision is worsening along with the "normal" Alzheimer's decline. Any one deal with this or am I really alone?

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I know one woman who has that atrophy. It is also called benson syndrome. She is 57 and began with vision issues. But now she is like my partner, she also has memory, language and apraxia issues. It seems to be a rare form of AD
  • Gmom28
    Gmom28 Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    My DH has been experiencing severe vision issues lately. His Neuro-ophthalmologist doesn't seem to think anything can be done to help him anymore. This is very frustrating for both of us.
  • AndreeAndree
    AndreeAndree Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I was first diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and then about 6 months ago with Posterior Cortical Atrophy.  There is a support group on Facebook called Posterior Cortical Atrophy Awareness.  

There is also a website for rare dementia support called Rare Dementia Support.  

I can't share links here, but you can send me a message if you can't find them. I'm sorry for your husband, me, my husband, you, my family and your family.  This terrible terrible disease effects everyone involved.  Taking one day at a time and living in the "now" helps me nd my family somewhat.

• Gmom28
    That is the same information I received from our Nero-ophthalmologist, very frustrating.
  • Gmom28
    Thank you so much I am checking the information today.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more